Weather Forecast


Famous snowy owl set free after MN rehab

Julia Ponder, executive director of the University of Minnesota Raptor Center, releases the snowy owl 'D.C. Snowy' off Winter Street in Superior, Wis., on Saturday morning, April 19, 2014. The owl was reportedly hit by a bus in Washington, D.C. and then rehabilitated at the Raptor Center. They normally release raptors much closer to the place they were found, but the owl was too restless for a plane ride back to Washington. Forum News Service

SUPERIOR, Wis. — With a flurry of powerful wings and not even a glance back, what may be the most famous owl in America flew over a nondescript copse of trees in Superior and out of sight.

Only a handful of local journalists watched as Dr. Julia Ponder of the University of Minnesota Raptor Center threw her hands up in the air to give the owl popularly known as D.C. Snowy a quick start. The time was just before noon Saturday, the place near Hallett Dock No. 8, appropriately located on Winter Street.

The male snowy owl might be on its way to the Arctic by the time you read this, according to Duluth biologist David Evans, who chose the release site.

It was a relatively quiet departure, but the owl had been a media star in Washington, D.C.

The raptor was part of an irruption of snowy owls this winter across the eastern United States. The term irruption is used by birders to describe the phenomenon that occurs when large numbers of a species appear in a place where they aren’t usually seen.

Snowy owls normally remain in the Arctic, where they enjoy a steady diet of lemmings. If a lemming shortage forces them farther south, they dine on mice and voles.

But even given the irruption, seeing a snowy in the urban wilds of our nation’s capital was “pretty unusual,” said Ponder, a veterinarian who is executive director of the Raptor Center.

“That’s why everyone’s all aflutter,” Evans added.

When the owl was spotted in downtown Washington in January, it drew curious crowds, according to a Washington Post blog. Guaranteeing even more attention, it perched for several hours on a ledge outside the Post headquarters, “leaving dedicated journalists no choice but to bravely ignore work and spend lots of time photographing and discussing the bird,” the blog added.

Some days later, the bird apparently was struck by a bus and an SUV. It was injured, but still capable of leading D.C. police on a two-hour chase downtown before it was captured, the Post reported.

The U of M Raptor Center was asked to complete its care not because of the traffic accidents but because of burned feathers, Ponder said. It likely sustained the burns while perched on a methane burner in a landfill, she said.