Former WCCO anchor Shelby says 'no' to Congress
ST. PAUL (AP) — Former WCCO-TV anchor Don Shelby declined Friday to make a run for a Minnesota congressional seat after being courted by Democrats to challenge a GOP incumbent.
Shelby told The Associated Press that he didn't think he could accomplish change on climate issues and other policies without a long stay in Washington. At 66, Shelby said he's content to continue with the charity work, speaking engagements and writing he has taken on since leaving TV news a few years ago.
“My glass is running out. I'm certain I don't have that much time to serve in public service,” Shelby said. “I already retired from one career.”
Shelby spent weeks pondering whether to run against three-term Republican Rep. Erik Paulsen in Minnesota's 3rd Congressional District. Democrats in Minnesota and elsewhere had encouraged Shelby to enter the race.
He said he reached the decision after consulting with family and people in politics whom he trusts, including former GOP Rep. Jim Ramstad who had earlier held the same seat. He said he didn't want to sacrifice time with his family or his long career as a journalist.
“I just couldn't see myself as a partisan after all these years,” Shelby said.