Letter: Service group lends hand at Pioneer Village
It measures 14 inches by 18 inches and the five-member Stangeland family called the building home at one time. It was originally located on the northeast quarter of Section 17 in Lismore Township. Elk Township was the first home of a former schoolhouse built in 1894, which came to be located on the Otto and Sophia Foss farm and is now a photo shop.
Both buildings are now located at Nobles County Pioneer Village today and were the subjects of the annual Worthington Early Risers Kiwanis painting project this spring. The structures were quite painter-friendly, since they didn't require a 24-foot extension ladder.
Thanks to the painters -- 14 in all -- who were the energetic members from the Kiwanis group. Also a big thanks to the Nobles County Chapter of Thrivent Financial for the money to purchase paint and supplies. Thrivent has been providing funds for materials for many years and has done much to keep the Village painted. Diamond Vogel Paint Store provided a pressure washer to attack the dust, grime and those pesky paint chips; thanks! Pastor Jim Krapf and Glennis Pearson helped in the "snack" department.
The project was completed before the rainy season and awaits the many expected guests for the summer.