Middle school construction on schedule
WORTHINGTON -- The District 518 Board of Education dispelled rumors of middle school construction delays at its Tuesday meeting.
Construction is on schedule to be completed by the first day of class, board members assured.
"They are on schedule and things are going quite well," reported Linden Olson, a board member on the operations committee.
Superintendent John Landgaard said construction should be finished within three weeks; the first day of school is Aug. 23.
Landgaard said painting crews and custodians are already preparing some rooms for students.
"There are a lot of things yet to be done," he added, including completion of flooring and connections of air conditioning systems, "But the major stuff will be pretty well completed."
"We're taking it a day at a time," he continued. "We're being positive. (Contractors) tell us it's on schedule."
In other business, the board:
- Approved employment of David Rezny as assistant principal at the high school effective Aug. 9.
- Approved a request to upgrade the district's technology network at an estimated cost of $200,000.
- Learned the Worthington Regional Health Care Foundation Inc. had approved the district's request for funding of a second school nurse position for two to three years.
- Approved employment of Tracy Johnson as school social worker with special programs, Patrick Christopherson as head boys' hockey coach with the high school, Maggie Ernst as program aide with Community Education, Rachel Bell as teacher with Community Education, Jocelyn Laverman as program aide with Community Education, Jeffrey Linder as teacher with Community Education, Hayley Vaske as program aide with community education, Joel Walerius as program aide with Community Education, Kristin Walerius as teacher with Community Education, David Mayorga as 21st Century Community Learning Center program aide, Brittany Workman as secretary with Community Education, Carrie Adams as counselor at the middle school, Heather Flynn as fifth-grade teacher at the middle school, Corey Barfknecht as sixth-grade teacher at the middle school, Julie Ailts as first-grade teacher at Prairie elementary, Lindsey Radloff as second-grade teacher at Prairie Elementary, Rachel Bell as kindergarten teacher at Prairie Elementary, Margaret Carlson as English as a Second Language teacher at the middle school, Cindy Godinez as program aide with Community Education, Jose Gorra as program aid with Community Education, Paula Ahrens as secretary with special programs, Ta Gaypaw Shwe as program aide with the Community Education-refugee program, Carla Reynolds as ESL paraprofessional at the middle school, and of Rose Henriksen as ELL paraprofessional at the middle school.
- Approved the resignation of Shirley Erlandson as softball coach at the middle school, Carrie Adams as Youth Initiatives Coordinator with the Nobles County Integration Collaborative, Julie Haas as paraprofessional at the middle school, Jada Walker as secretary at the middle school, Colleen Duba as agriculture teacher at the high school, and of Elizabeth Briones-Flores as English Language Learner paraprofessional at the middle school. Approved the retirement of Barb Greve as paraprofessional at the Area Learning Center, and of Mary Ann Hoffman as a paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary.