Ocheyedan Christian Reformed Church celebrates centennial
OCHEYEDAN, Iowa -- The Ocheyedan Christian Reformed Church is celebrating its centennial this weekend with special services and programs.
The church was established June 19, 1913, after six families from Orange City, Iowa, settled in the Ocheyedan area. The first church was built in 1914. In the early years of the congregation, growth was progressive but slow, affected by the two world wars, flu epidemic, drought and economic depression.
As the early members were all of Dutch heritage, the services were conducted in that language for many years. According to the brief church history provided by the centennial committee, the services were switched to English after some serious misunderstandings concerning the use of the Dutch language.
In 1947, after a period of significant growth, the church building was remodeled and a Christian school was established.
The current structure, located at 833 Fifth St., was built in 1973.
The Ocheyedan Christian Reformed congregation currently consists of 63 families, with a total membership of 275. The Rev. Bill Van Der Heide is the church's 15th pastor.
To celebrate "100 years in His service," the congregation and guests will gather at the 9:30 a.m. service on Sunday. A worship and praise service with special remembrances will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday.
For more information, go to www.ocheyedancrc.org.