Regular School Board Meeting Minutes - November 19, 2013
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
A regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held at the Worthington High School Media Center, 1211 Clary Street, Worthington, Minnesota on October 15, 2013, at 5:15 p.m.
The following were present: BOARD MEMBERS - Brad Shaffer, Lori Dudley, Scott Rosenberg, Steve Schnieder, Linden Olson, Joel Lorenz, Mark Shepherd
ADMINISTRATORS – John Landgaard, Superintendent; Dave Skog, Director of Management Services
Correspondence and Recognition: The board recognized the following employees/students: Welcomed Quinn Bents as student school board representative and Brighid Hegarty in completing an independent study based on architecture.
Mr. Nate Hanson gave a presentation on the ALC, EDGE and VIBE.
1. Motion by Member Shepherd, and seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve the Consent Agenda for the November 19, 2013, School Board meeting.
2. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve the Main Agenda for the November 19, 2013, School Board meeting.
3. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve the minutes of the October 15, 2013, Regular School Board meeting and November 12, 2013, Special School Board meeting minutes.
Motion by Member Rosenberg, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to accept the school board committee meeting minutes as received.
4. Motion by Member Lorenz, seconded by Member Rosenberg to approve the action of the items on the Consent Agenda as follows:
4.1. Financial Reports -
A. Approved Investments Matured and Purchased
B. Approved Wire Transfers
C. Approved Claims and Accounts for November 19, 2013, as per Board
November 19, 2013
GENERAL FUND: $1,803,857.41
FOOD SERVICE: $91,802.19
COMMUNITY SERVICE: $27,295.76
CAPITAL OUTLAY: $42,881.04
INTEGRATION COLLABORATIVE: $11,286.33
MONTH TOTAL: $2,090,617.71
D. Approved the Community Education Imprest Cash Account in the amount of $395.00 for October 2013.
E. Reviewed the Middle School, High School, Prairie Elementary and the Area Learning Center Activity Accounts for October 2013.
Middle School Activity Account: $12,296.18
High School Activity Account: $30,721.33
Prairie Elementary Activity Account: $503.24
Area Learning Center Activity Account: $435.72
4.2.1. Approved resignation of Mary Harberts as Paraprofessional with Community Education effective January 30, 2014.
4.2.2. Approved resignation of Melissa Elsing as Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective October 15, 2013.
4.2.3. Approved resignation of Nancy Andera as Educational Assistant with the EDGE Program effective October 28, 2013.
4.2.4. Approved retirement of Diane Knouse as Food Service Worker at the Middle School effective December 31, 2013.
4.2.5. Approved resignation of Chad Duffy as 7th Grade Girls Basketball Coach with the Middle School effective November 13, 2013.
4.3.1. Approved employment of Dugong Nguyen as Assistant Gymnastics Coach with the School District effective November 11, 2013,
4.3.2. Approved employment of Lon Eichenberger as 10th Grade Boys Basketball Coach with the High School effective November 11, 2013.
4.3.3. Approved employment of Patrick Mahoney as 9th Grade Girls Basketball Coach with the High School effective November 18, 2013.
4.3.4. Approved Sarah Jensen as Lead Teacher with Targeted Services effective October 21, 2013.
4.3.5. Approved employment of Muriel Coulter as Grades 1-8th Substitute Teacher with Targeted Services effective November 5, 2013.
4.3.6. Approved employment of Shaylayna Knapper as Grades 1-6th Teacher with Targeted Services effective November 5, 2013.
4.3.7. Approved employment of Joe Ahrens as 9th Grade Boys Basketball with the High School effective November 11, 2013.
4.3.8. Approved employment of Tami Bohn as Success Coach with the NCIC effective October 21, 2013.
4.3.9. Approved employment of Lori Vetsch as Success Coach with the NCIC effective October 21, 2013.
4.3.10. Approved employment of Leroy Vetsch as Success Coach with the NCIC effective October 21, 2013.
4.3.11. Approved employment of Eileen Schultz as Success Coach with NCIC effective October 21, 2013.
4.3.12. Approved employment of Carey Carson as Success Coach with NCIC effective October 21, 2013.
4.3.13. Approved employment of Wanda Renken as Food Service Employee at the High School effective October 23, 2013.
4.3.14. Approved employment of Julia Thaw as ABE Paraprofessional with Community Education effective November 1, 2013.
4.3.15. Approved employment of Amy Hamilton as Kindergarten Teacher with the EDGE Program effective November 19, 2013.
4.3.16. Approved employment of Samantha Hameister as Kindergarten Teacher with the EDGE Program effective November 19, 2013.
4.3.17. Approved employment of Patty Moser as Homebound Instructor effective October 28, 2013.
4.3.18. Approved employment of Kim Moren as Homebound Instructor effective October 28, 2013.
4.3.19. Approved employment of Lourdes Avila as Educational Assistant with the After School Program effective October 28, 2013.
4.3.20. Approved employment of Amber Green as Targeted Services Manager in Redwood effective November 1, 2013.
4.3.21. Approved employment of Wanda Apperson as 7th/8th Grade Targeted Services Teacher in Tracy effective November 4, 2013.
4.3.22. Approved employment of Lynn Goltz as Targeted Services Substitute Teacher effective November 4, 2013.
4.3.23. Approved employment of Penny Troe as Video Board Graphic Designer effective September 1, 2013.
4.3.24. Approved employment of Jeff Nelson as Technology Management Tech with the Technology Department effective November 25, 2013.
4.3.25. Approve employment of Julia Thaw as Refugee Program Aide with Community Education effective November 12, 2013.
4.3.26. Approved employment of Erin Makela as 7th Grade Girls Basketball Coach with the Middle School effective November 18, 2013.
4.4. The board approved the following donations for the month of October 2013: Agstar for welding helmet at the High School and Southwest Foundation and the Ellen Baker-Merrigan Foundation for the High School choir trip.
4.5. Approved student nursing contract with Presentation College.
5. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Schneider and unanimously passed to approve the second reading of Policy 503 Student Attendance.
6. Board Member Shepherd made a motion, seconded by Board Member Dudley to approve the following resolution:
Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, the regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held on the 19th day of November, 2013, at 5:15 p.m.
WORTHINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS ISD 518 SCHOOL BOARD RESOLUTION WITHDRAWAL FROM MEMBERSHIP IN THE SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE AND AUTHORIZATION FOR MEMBERSHIP IN THE BIG SOUTH CONFERENCE
WHEREAS, ISD 518, Worthington Public Schools has an ongoing need to ensure a stable and predictable scheduling process for extra-curricular and co-curricular activities;
WHEREAS, ISD 518, Worthington Public Schools has an interest in promoting the development of life-long skills in areas such as team work, goal setting, communications, and personal self-development;
WHEREAS, ISD 518, Worthington Public Schools, working in collaboration with other schools, seeks to provide a regionally competitive environment for middle school, junior varsity, and high school co-curricular and extra-curricular activities by promoting opportunities, cost efficiency, and equitable competition options; and
WHEREAS, ISD 518, Worthington Public Schools, through regional collaboration, understands that additional opportunities may be realized among regionally partnering schools and educational agencies;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT: The Board of Education (the “Board”) for the Worthington Public Schools, ISD 518, authorizes the Superintendent of Schools to formally withdraw the Worthington Public Schools from membership in the South West Conference effective the end of the 2013-14 school term.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT: the “Board” authorizes the Superintendent of Schools to have the Worthington Public Schools formally join The Big South Conference and abide by its constitution and by-laws effective at the start of the 2014-15 school term and thereafter.
Upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Linden Olson, Mark Shepherd, Lori Dudley, Steve Schnieder, Brad Shaffer, Scott Rosenberg and Joel Lorenz
and the following voted against the same: None.
Whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
7. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve a marching band trip to Orlando and Tampa Florida from December 26, 2014, through January 4, 2015.
8. Motion by Member Lorenz, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve the District Improvement Plan.
9. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve technology positions salary adjustments/contracts.
10. The board discussed the operating/bond referendum. The Board further discussed and reviewed the following matters: Investments and financial status; reports on: Superintendent’s Report – Mr. Landgaard reported the following: Enrollment update; payroll changes; legislative platform items; AdvanceEd accreditation recognition. Instructional Committee Report – Mrs. Dudley reported the following: None. Operations Committee Report – Mr. Olson reported the following: None. Other Reports: Mr. Schnieder gave a MREA conference update. Other Business – None. Future Business – The board discussed some dates for a board/administrative work session.
Meeting adjourned at 6:10 p.m.
Lori Dudley, Clerk
Lisa Ahrenstorff, Deputy Clerk