Regular School Board Meeting Minutes - September 17, 2013
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
A regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held at the Worthington High School Media Center, 1211 Clary Street, Worthington, Minnesota on September 17, 2013, at 5:15 p.m.
The following were present: BOARD MEMBERS - Brad Shaffer, Lori Dudley, Scott Rosenberg, Steve Schnieder, Linden Olson, Joel Lorenz, Mark Shepherd
ADMINISTRATORS – John Landgaard, Superintendent; Dave Skog, Director of Management Services
Correspondence and Recognition: The board recognized the following employees/students: None.
1. Motion by Member Shepherd, and seconded by Member Rosenberg and unanimously passed to approve the Consent Agenda for the September 17, 2013, School Board meeting.
2. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Rosenberg and unanimously passed to approve the Main Agenda for the September 17, 2013, School Board meeting.
3. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve the minutes of the August 20, 2013, Regular School Board meeting.
Motion by Member Schneider, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to accept the school board committee meeting minutes as received.
4. Motion by Member Rosenberg, seconded by Member Shepherd to approve the action of the items on the Consent Agenda as follows:
4.1 Financial Reports -
A. Approved Investments Matured and Purchased
B. Approved Wire Transfers
C. Approved Claims and Accounts for September 17, 2013, as per Board Check Register
September 17, 2013GENERAL FUND ................ $1,192,023.43FOOD SERVICE ................... $89,853.98TRANSPORTATION ................. $83,831.04COMMUNITY SERVICE .............. $13,008.03CAPITAL OUTLAY ................ $423,286.17INTEGRATION COLLABORATIVE ....... $9,424.71MONTH TOTAL ................. $1,811,427.36
D. Approved the Community Education Imprest Cash Account in the amount of $165.00 for August 2013.
E. Reviewed the Middle School, High School, Prairie Elementary and the Area Learning Center Activity Accounts for August 2013.
Middle School Activity Account ............... $0High School Activity Account ......... $11,936.87Prairie Elementary Activity Account .......... $0Area Learning Center Activity Account ........ $0Total ................................ $11,936.87
4.2.1. Approved a reduction in time to 3 days a week for Naw Play Say as ESL Paraprofessional at the Area Learning Center effective August 21, 2013.4.2.2. Approved termination of Sarah Franco as Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective August 16, 2013.4.2.3. Approved resignation of Stacy Ommen as Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective August 14, 2013.4.2.4. Approved resignation of Kathy Schreiber as GED/ABE/ESL Teacher with Community Education effective September 6, 2013.4.2.5. Approved resignation of Tamara O’Neil as SEAT Secretary with Special Education effective August 20, 2013.4.2.6. Approved resignation of Roselia Vazquez Medrano as Paraprofessional and Parent Liaison with Community Education effective September 6, 2013.4.2.7. Approved a reduction in hours to a .55 FTE for Lizbeth Castillo as a Parent Liaison with Community Education effective August 27, 2013.4.2.8. Approved retirement of Shirley Erlandson as Special Education Paraprofessional at the Middle School effective August 26, 2013.4.2.9. Approved resignation of Deb Kruse as ECSE Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective September 13, 2013.
4.3.1. Approved employment of Morde Cai as ESL Paraprofessional at the Area Learning Center effective August 21, 2013.4.3.2. Approved employment of Tammy O’Neil as Counselor’s Secretary at the High School effective august 22, 2013.4.3.3. Approved employment of Samantha Turnwall as Careers Teacher at the High School effective August 5, 2013.”4.3.4. Approved an overload in assignment of .083 FTE for Kelli Straley as ESL Teacher at the High School effective August 21, 2013.4.3.5. Approved employment of Kacey Contreras as Dance Camp Aide with Community Education effective July 29, 2013.4.3.6. Approved employment of Cheryl Carlson as Building Staff Development at the High School effective August 19, 2013.4.3.7. Approved employment of Donna Day-Beck as Building Leadership Team at the High School effective August 23, 2013.4.3.8. Approved employment of Teresa Hoesing as Science Club Advisor at the High School effective August 23, 2013.4.3.9. Approved employment of Sheryl Hoekstra as long term substitute Teacher at Prairie Elementary effective September 16, 2013, through October 30, 2013.4.3.10. Approved employment of Lisa Grothe as long term substitute Teacher at Prairie effective November 1, 2013, through December 20, 2013.4.3.11. Approved a temporary increase in assignment to full time for Maria Gonzalez as Custodian effective August 21, 2013.4.3.12. Approved employment of Soom Chandaswang as AOK Club Advisor at the High School effective August 28, 2013.4.3.13. Approved employment of Karen Shaughnessy as St. Mary’s Extended Time Interventionist effective August 15, 2013.4.3.14. Approved employment of Jeanette Varuska as Title Extended Time/Consultant at Prairie Elementary effective August 15, 2013.4.3.15. Approved employment of Marilyn Nieland as Non-public Title Interventionist with Prairie Elementary effective August 15, 2013.4.3.16. Approved an increase in assignment to full time for Maria Biurquiz as Paraprofessional with Community Education/ABE effective September 6, 2013.4.3.17. Approved an overload of .083 FTE for Joel Landwehr, Geography Teacher at the High School effective August 29, 2013.4.3.18. Approved a temporary increase in assignment to a .75 FTE for Millie Hamblin as Cook at Prairie Elementary effective August 19, 2013.4.3.19. Approved temporary employment of Crystal Sibson as Para/Mailing for School Improvement effective September 11, 2013.4.3.20. Approved employment of Roger Lais as Van Rider and Driver for Special Education effective September 9, 2013.4.3.21. Approved employment of Lakeyta Potter as Senior Class Advisor at the High School effective August 30, 2013.4.3.22. Approved a change in assignment for Jodie Johnson from District Technology to a Class II Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective September 6, 2013.4.3.23. Approved employment of Jennifer Geister as ECSE Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective September 10, 2013.4.3.24. Approved employment of Peggy Herrig as Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective September 9, 2013.4.3.25. Approved employment of Kirsten Koster as Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective September 16, 2013.4.3.26. Approved employment of Michelle Forrest as Refugee After School Teacher at the High School effective September 16, 2013.4.3.27. Approved employment of Kari Pierson as After School Enrichment Instructor at the Middle School effective September 16, 2013.4.3.28. Approved employment of David Blanchard as After School Enrichment Instructor at the Middle School effective September 16, 2013.
4.4 The board approved the following donations for the month of August 2013: None reported.
4.5 Approved an employee’s request for sick leave (due to pregnancy) from December 15, 2013, through January 24, 2013
4.6 Approved an employee’s request for sick leave (due to pregnancy) from December 17, 2013, through January 28, 2014.
4.7 Approved an employee’s request for sick leave (due to pregnancy) from October 29, 2013, through December 10, 2013, and child care leave (without pay) from December 11-20, 2013.
4.8 Approved after school teachers and educational assistants as attached.
5. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve second reading of policies 509 Enrollment of Nonresident Students; 515 Protection and Privacy of Pupil Records; 523 Policies Incorporated by Reference; 532 Use of Peace Officers and Crisis Teams to Remove Students with IEP’s from School Grounds; 604 Instructional Curriculum; 610 Field Trips; 613 Graduation Requirements; 620 Credit for Learning; 707 Transportation of Public School Students; 709 Student Transportation Safety Policy; 711 Video Recording on School Buses and 712 Video Surveillance Other Than on Buses.
6. Motion by Member Lorenz, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve first reading of policies 425 Staff Development; 506 Student Discipline; 601 School District Curriculum and Instruction Goals; 603 Curriculum Development; 614 School District Testing Plan and Procedure; 616 School District System Accountability; 618 Assessment of Student Achievement; and 624 Online Learning Options.
7. Member Schnieder moved the adoption of the following Resolution:
RESOLUTION APPOINTING ELECTION JUDGESFOR THE NOVEMBER 5, 2013SCHOOL DISTRICT SPECIAL ELECTION
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, State of Minnesota, as follows:1. The individuals specified on EXHIBIT A attached hereto, each of whom is qualified to serve as an election judge, are hereby appointed as judges of election for the school district's special election on November 5, 2013 to act as such at the combined polling place listed on said exhibit.
2. The election judges shall act as clerks of election, count the ballots cast, and submit the results to the school board for canvass in the manner provided for other school district elections.
The motion for the adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by
Shepherd. On a roll call vote, the following voted in favor: Linden Olson, Mark Shepherd, Lori Dudley, Steve Schnieder, Brad Shaffer, Scott Rosenberg, Joel Lorenz
and the following voted against: None.
whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
COMBINED POLLING PLACEWorthington High School1211 Clary StreetWorthington, MN 56187
ELECTION JUDGESCo-Head ElectionJudge: David CopperudBernice Camery
Election Judges:Karen BuchmanMarcia ShepherdBob WiemeJudy FiolaBob PetrichDee HaleShirley AdelCorky TateGinny TateJudy EykynKathy RekerSharon JohansenBill Knigge8. Motion by Member Lorenz, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to approve the Annual Report on Curriculum, Instruction, and Student Achievement.
9. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to approve a half time teaching position at the High School.
10. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Lorenz and unanimously passed to certify the maximum proposed 2013 levy payable 2014.
11. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve Time Clock Plus for our payroll system.
12. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Rosenberg and unanimously passed to accept a quote from Salonek Concrete and Construction Inc. for $13,876.30 the Prairie Elementary foundation repair.
13. Motion by Member Rosenberg, seconded by Member Shepherd and unanimously passed to approve an upgrade of wireless access at the High School and make necessary budget changes.The Board further discussed and reviewed the following matters: Investments and financial status; reports on: Superintendent’s Report – Mr. Landgaard reported the following: South Central Board of Director nominations.
Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Lorenz and unanimously passed by roll call vote 7 to 0 to nominate Steve Schneider as candidate for the Board of Directors of the Southwest/West Central Service Cooperative.
Greater Southern Plains conference update; MREA Annual conference November 17-19, 2013; Blandin Leadership training; enrollment update and referendum public meeting update. Instructional Committee Report – Mrs. Dudley reported the following: None. Operations Committee Report – Mr. Olson reported the following: None. Other Reports: Discussed the bus shed progress and the MSBA delegate assembly. Other Business – None. Future Business – None.
Meeting adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Lori Dudley, ClerkLisa Ahrenstorff, Deputy Clerk