Safety tips from the American Red Cross
As a spring snowstorm bears down on our area, the American Red Cross would like to remind people to stay safe and be prepared in case of power outages and severe weather.
When the power goes out, there are increased risks of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning as people use alternate heat and light sources. The Red Cross urges people to stay home in severe weather and to take shelter there. Some tips for staying safe while sheltering-in-place include:
Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area.
Use flashlights rather than candles for light.
Bring pets inside if possible. If not, ensure that they have adequate shelter and access to food and unfrozen water.
Avoid driving when conditions include sleet, freezing rain or drizzle, snow or dense fog. If travel is necessary, keep a disaster supplies kit and warm blanket in your vehicle.
Leave refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. If the power is out for two hours or less, your perishable foods should still be safe.
Listen to a battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio or other local news channels for critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS).
Be prepared with a first aid kit, blankets, non-perishable food (such as canned vegetables and fruit, energy bars, canned tuna), water for drinking and preparing food (one gallon per person per day), and a flashlight, radio and batteries.
For more information and preparation tips, visit http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm.