State highways closed; no travel advised in southwest, south central Minnesota
All state roads in Rock County have been closed, effective immediately, due to zero visibility caused by blowing snow. In addition, the Minnesota Department of Transportation has announced that all state plows have been pulled from roads in southwest and south central Minnesota due to blizzard conditions. Gates are being closed to prevent travel on state highways.
MnDOT officials are encouraging the public to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.