Strong winds in Worthington may draw windsurfers
WORTHINGTON - Breezy conditions and an alert from Mowind, a Midwest group of windsurfing racers and event organizers, may bring windsurfers to the shores of Lake Okabena over the weekend.
Mowind posted an alert from noted Worthington windsurfer Craig Bergh, who alerts windsurfers participating in the Midwest Speed Quest whenever the Lake Okabena winds are unusually strong. Bergh is the organizer and promoter of Midwest Speed Quest, a contest awarding prize money to sailors who record the fastest speed, as measured by GPS, on Lake Okabena.
The National Weather Service's wind predictions are:
- Today: A south southwest wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Tonight: A south southwest wind between 17 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
- Saturday: A south southwest wind between 16 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Saturday night: A south wind between 14 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Sunday: A south wind between 15 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.
More information about windsurfing in the Midwest: Mowind.
More information about the Midwest Speed Quest: Midwest Speed Quest