Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
A garage is engulfed in flames Tuesday evening at 1609 Okabena St. The fire was attributed to a heat lamp used for an outdoor dog kennel. The fires also spread to the house. Erin Trester/Daily Globe

Two more fires erupt in Worthington Tuesday

Email

WORTHINGTON — Worthington firefighers had their hands full Tuesday night after being called out to two separate fires only an hour apart.

Advertisement
0 Talk about it

The Worthington Fire Department was first dispatched at 6:01 p.m. Tuesday to 1609 Okabena St., and a second call came in at 7:24 p.m. from 26962 Plotts Ave.

Worthington Fire Chief Rick von Holdt said the fire at 1609 Okabena St. was the second of the day attributed to a heat lamp.

At 10:32 a.m. Tuesday, the Worthington Fire Department had responded to another fire caused by a heat lamp at 617 Omaha Ave.

“There was a heat lamp that led to the garage for an outside dog kennel (at 1609 Okabena St.), and there was a drop cord running from the house to the heat lamp,” von Holdt said.

Due to the wind and the severity of the blaze, the fire quickly spread to the house.

“The house started on fire in the attic, and it spread to an upstairs bedroom as well that has substantial smoke damage. Due to the age of the house, the house itself also has significant damage,” von Holdt said.

There were no injuries reported during the fire. However, the garage and a truck that was stored inside was a total loss.

“We got back to the fire station and had everything almost cleaned up before we got the call out to the fire on Plotts Avenue,” von Holdt said.

The second call was to a trailer on fire.

“When we got there, we discovered that it was a utility trailer that caught fire,” von Holdt said.

According to von Holdt, the owner of the trailer had been burning garbage a few hours before the trailer fire started. Von Holdt suspects ash blew near the trailer and caused the fire.

“The owner even had the burn barrel covered, but the wind probably caught a few ashes, and that’s what started the fire,” he said.

The blaze spread to a grill and two propane cylinders near the trailer, which split and caught fire.

“Those cylinders must have gotten hot enough to where they split, and before I knew it, I saw this 40- or 50-foot flame just come up,” von Holdt said.

“It’s hard to say when the fire started, but we got it put out pretty quickly,” he added.

No injuries were reported during that fire either, but the utility trailer was a total loss.

Daily Globe Reporter Erin Trester may be reached at 376-7322.

Advertisement
Erin Trester
Erin Trester is the newest reporter joining the Daily Globe. She's a native of Lewiston, MN, but moved to Buffalo, NY to attend college and obtained her bachelor's degree in Communications. She started at the Western New York Catholic Newspaper as a reporter in Buffalo, but in October 2013 she returned to her home state to start with the Daily Globe. Most of her spare time is taken up by her 12 year old thoroughbred named Faith, but some of her other hobbies include reading, fishing and spending time with friends and family. 
(507) 376-7322
Advertisement
Advertisement