Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Worthington Fire Department fights early-morning blaze

Email News Alerts

WORTHINGTON – In bitter cold temperatures early this morning, Worthington firefighters contained a fire believed to have started in a diesel pickup and spread to the garage of a home at 1511 Hillcrest Ave.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The Worthington Fire Department was paged to the home of Brian and Amy Dykstra at 3:15 a.m. to find the truck engulfed in flames, and fire in the garage.

Worthington Fire Chief Rick von Holdt said the truck had been plugged into a block heater, and it wasn’t yet determined if it was a faulty block heater or something in the truck that ignited the blaze.

On Tuesday morning, totes and various items lined the driveway of the home, and ice covered the driveway and street in front of the house. The Dykstras, along with their five children, were displaced from their home. The American Red Cross provided emergency assistance.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness