Kidnapping suspects freedRED WING - The two Red Wing men accused of abducting and raping a teenage girl were released Tuesday from the Goodhue County Detention Center.
By: Mike Longaecker The Republican Eagle, Worthington Daily Globe
RED WING - The two Red Wing men accused of abducting and raping a teenage girl were released Tuesday from the Goodhue County Detention Center.
Red Wing police announced at a neighborhood meeting that Calvin Kenterius Horsley and Antwon Lorenzo Howard Jr., were due to be set free that night.
Jail officials confirmed the men had been released under order from First District Judge Kevin Mark. Investigative Sgt. Craig Lunde said investigation revealed the men apparently had alibis for the night in question.
Criminal complaints filed against the men alleged they struck a 17-year-old girl Sept. 4 on South Park Street and forced her into a white minivan. The girl told investigators the suspects — whom she later identified through jail book-in photos as Horsley, 24, and Howard, 18 — then took her to a Hill Street residence and sexually assaulted her.
Horsley was arrested Sept. 19 at his home, the residence where the alleged victim said the sexual assault had occurred. Howard was arrested hours later at another Hill Street residence.
The public defender for both men raised the question of misidentification during a bail hearing last week. Neither man had pierced ears, which was contrary to the girl’s claim that her attackers wore earrings, attorney Timothy Lee said.
Lunde said the case remains open and under investigation.
“We have nothing to indicate at this time that the incident did not occur,” he said.
Police Chief Tim Sletten said he was unsure Tuesday whether the men were still considered suspects.
Lunde said at the meeting that police are still investigating a similar report from Sept. 11.
In that incident, a
30-year-old woman said she was abducted by two men in a white van who attempted to sexually assault her. The woman said she fought back and escaped.