Rape charges dismissedRED WING - Criminal charges have been dropped against two men once suspected of raping a 17-year-old Red Wing girl.
By: Jen Cullen The Republican Eagle, Worthington Daily Globe
RED WING - Criminal charges have been dropped against two men once suspected of raping a 17-year-old Red Wing girl.
Goodhue County Attorney Stephen Betcher filed a motion for dismissal last week saying there was not enough evidence to charge Calvin Kenterius Horsley and Antwon Lorenzo Howard Jr. with a crime.
The Red Wing men were each facing five felony counts, including kidnapping and first-degree criminal sexual conduct.
"Based on the police investigation so far, we didn't feel we had enough to go forward," Betcher said Friday, a day Horsley and Howard were scheduled to appear in court. "We're waiting for additional investigation and test results from the BCA. Then we'll re-evaluate the position of this case."
Betcher said the investigation is still open and ongoing and that authorities still believe the Sept. 4 assault occurred.
The victim told police she was forced into a white minivan that evening on South Park Street by two men who took her to a Hill Street residence and sexually assaulted her.
Betcher would not comment further on the investigation or say whether police had any additional suspects.
During a neighborhood meeting Sept. 30 focused on public safety, residents learned Horsley and Howard were released from jail under order from First District Judge Kevin Mark.
"When they were released from jail we said we would evaluate what we had," Betcher said. "We did and we didn't feel it was appropriate to proceed any further."
Red Wing police Chief Tim Sletten confirmed officers are working on the case, as well as a similar report from Sept. 14.
In that incident, a 30-year-old woman said she was abducted by two men in a white van who attempted to sexually assault her. The woman said she fought back and escaped.
"We'd like to assure the public this is still a very active investigation. We are continuing to investigate this case as well as the second case as aggressively as possible," Sletten said. "Any and all leads in regards to these two cases will be pursued."
Tim Lee, Horsley and Howard's public defender, could not be reached Friday for comment.
Lee argued at a bail hearing last month the alleged victim had misidentified her attackers. Neither Horsley nor Howard had pierced ears, which was contrary to the girl's claims.