Barn destroyed in George, Iowa fireGEORGE, Iowa — A barn, feed shed and about 30 bales of hay were a total loss early Thursday morning after a massive barn fire at 1536 Kennedy Ave. in rural George.
GEORGE, Iowa — A barn, feed shed and about 30 bales of hay were a total loss early Thursday morning after a massive barn fire at 1536 Kennedy Ave. in rural George.
The property is owned by Ryan Jungers.
“We fought the fire until approximately 3:30 a.m., and used approximately 30,000 gallons of water and an unknown amount of foam,” said Fire Chief Arnie Eben.
The George Fire Department was paged at 12:15 a.m. to the fire, but upon arriving at the property, found the whole barn and a small feed shed were both fully engulfed in flames. All the animals got out in time and were unharmed.
Trees near the house caught on fire, and in order to prevent the house from catching on fire, Eben called for assistance from Little Rock, Iowa, and Rock Rapids. Half an hour later, Eben also called Ellsworth’s fire department for a tanker assist.
The George Fire Department was paged back to the scene at 1 p.m. Thursday after some of the hay bales rekindled.
The fire originated from an electrical cauterizer used for dehorning cattle, which had been left plugged in, Eben said.