Three hospitalized after bonfire explosionSWIFT - Three people remained in a Minneapolis burn center Tuesday after a bottle containing gasoline exploded in a bonfire Sunday night in Roseau County, Minn.
By: Grand Forks Herald, Worthington Daily Globe
SWIFT - Three people remained in a Minneapolis burn center Tuesday after a bottle containing gasoline exploded in a bonfire Sunday night in Roseau County, Minn.
County deputies were called to the Nicholas Soiney residence in Swift, Minn., at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday on a report of an accident with a bonfire.
Three people closest to the fire were seriously burned in the incident, the Roseau County Sheriff’s Office said, and taken to LifeCare Medical Center in Roseau. The three were later airlifted to the Hennepin County Burn Center in Minneapolis.
Sandra Ree, 20, of Baudette, Minn., and Keandra Sweetney, 20, of Warroad, Minn., were listed in serious condition Tuesday afternoon at HCBC. Mark Gibson, 35, of Warroad, was listed in satisfactory condition Tuesday afternoon.
Sweetney’s father, Thomas Sweetney of Maryland, told the Star-Tribune of Minneapolis that Sweetney was pregnant and that his daughter was doing OK despite the burns. Keandra Sweetney’s Facebook page lists Grand Forks as her current home, with Warroad listed as her hometown. The page also says her baby’s due date is Sept. 20, and Thomas Sweetney told the Star-Tribune that the birth had not happened yet.
According to the sheriff’s office, Gibson had put gasoline into a bottle and placed it in the fire. As more wood was added to the fire, the bottle was knocked over and exploded.
The incident remains under investigation, and the sheriff’s office said once its complete, they will forward the information to the Roseau County Attorney’s Office for possible charges.