Fire reported at fire chief’s houseWORTHINGTON — The Round Lake Fire Department was dispatched to a fire Wednesday afternoon — at the fire chief’s house.
By: Daily Globe, Worthington Daily Globe
WORTHINGTON — The Round Lake Fire Department was dispatched to a fire Wednesday afternoon — at the fire chief’s house.
“My landlord had a guy out there burning some buildings, and he started one today, the wind come up, and it burned up a shed with my stuff in it,” said Round Lake Fire Chief Mike Smith.
The fire department was dispatched at about 2 p.m., according to Smith.
When the fire got out of control, the man who was doing the burning couldn’t get his phone to work, so he came into town and reported the fire to Smith in person. By the time the firefighters arrived at the scene, there wasn’t much they could do but keep the blaze from spreading to other structures.
“The only thing saved was the house, but there was a little grass and leaves burning around that also,” Smith said.
The machine shed that burned was storage for many of Smith’s tools, a 1990 GMC pickup truck and a motorcycle — all of which were lost in the blaze.
The Lake Park, Iowa, and Okabena Fire departments provided mutual aid. Firefighters were on the scene until Wednesday evening to ensure the fire did not reignite.