Letter: Relief package will give big boostOn Oct. 18, lawmakers were called back to the Capitol for a special legislative session to help bring much-needed flood relief to areas of southern Minnesota, and we quickly approved the legislation.
By: Dist. 22A Rep. Doug Magnus, R-Slayton, Worthington Daily Globe
On Oct. 18, lawmakers were called back to the Capitol for a special legislative session to help bring much-needed flood relief to areas of southern Minnesota, and we quickly approved the legislation.
Many of our neighbors are struggling with the devastation left behind by the floods, so I’m glad we were able to quickly approve a relief package for them.
The nearly $80 million disaster package agreed to by the Legislature includes money for residents and business owners to use for clean-up and restoration projects, as well as funding for farmers who suffered damage. The package also puts a significant priority on the local infrastructure with help for roads and bridges, and the water and sewer systems.
Murray, Pipestone, and Rock counties were included in the federal disaster declaration. Because of this, the federal government will pick up 75 percent of eligible costs and Minnesota will pay the remaining 25 percent.
Winter is just around the corner, and southern Minnesota has a big mess to clean up. I’m pleased all sides were able to work together during this time of tragedy and help out those who are struggling to recover from this natural disaster.
It’s also worth noting that the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs is offering Flood Relief Grants for reimbursable expenses to veterans in approximately 35 counties, including all in the southwestern corner of the state. Veterans, their families and surviving spouses may be eligible for reimbursement assistance funds of up to $750 if they have not received FEMA or other assistance. All eligible applications and copies of receipts must be dated between disaster timeframe, as designated by the governor and/or FEMA. Applications must be postmarked by Dec. 31, 2010.
For more information on this program or to request a Flood Relief Grant, veterans and their families should contact their local County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO), visit www.minnesotaveteran.org or call 1-888-LINKVET (546-5838).