Firefighters battle blaze at Milford motelMILFORD, Iowa — Three people were rescued from a second-story bathroom after a fire broke out at a motel in Milford, Iowa.
MILFORD, Iowa — Three people were rescued from a second-story bathroom after a fire broke out at a motel in Milford, Iowa.
According to information from Milford Fire Chief Jim Carpenter, the Milford Community Fire Department was dispatched to a fire at the Roadway Inn along U.S. 71 at 2:20 a.m. Friday. Law enforcement and passersby reported a large amount of smoke coming from the second and third floors, with flames visible at the roof.
Law enforcement personnel who were first on the scene made sure everyone was evacuated from the lower floors, and upon arrival, firefighters began an interior attack and search that resulted in the three trapped guests being located and brought out. One was transported to Spencer Municipal Hospital and two to Lakes Regional Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
After the search, a heavy exterior attack began with aerials and a deck gun from a pumper. The fire was considered under control by 3:47 a.m., and cleanup continued until after 11 a.m.
The cause is believed to be accidental at this time, but the Iowa State Fire Marshal is investigating.
The Milford firefighters were assisted by fire departments from Arnold’s Park/Okoboji and Spirit Lake, along with Lakes Regional Hospital Ambulance, Terril Ambulance, Milford, Arnold’s Park and Okoboji Police Departments, Dickinson County Sheriff’s Office, Milford Utilities, Milford Street Department and Black Hills Energy.