School board approves superintendent contractWORTHINGTON — The Worthington School District 518 Board of Education approved a three-year contract for Superintendent John Landgaard that will begin July 1, 2012.
WORTHINGTON — The Worthington School District 518 Board of Education approved a three-year contract for Superintendent John Landgaard that will begin July 1, 2012.
Board chairman Brad Shaffer explained that the contract was similar to the superintendent contract model by the Minnesota School Boards Association (MSBA).
“The only two areas of difference are the cashing of vacation days and the sick leave pay-out,” Shaffer said.
The contract package will have an incremental increase which will be implemented over three years — 2.06 percent for 2012-2013, 2.75 percent for 2013-2014 and 3.03 percent for 2014-1015.
“This compares fairly close to the teachers’ (salary increase),” Shaffer added.
Board member Linden Olson suggested that board members defer the approval to obtain an MSBA analysis which would cost $900. No motion was made for the suggestion.
“I think the contract is a fair contract. There’s been lots of give and take and (Landgaard) has been very cooperative,” board member Joel Lorenz said.
In an unrelated matter, the school board approved participation in a sports facility assessment that will be conducted by a consulting firm.
Landgaard explained that the representatives from the school district met with representatives from the city, Minnesota West Community and Technical College, and the Worthington Area Chamber of Commerce to discuss further plans for the sports facility in the city.
The cost for a comprehensive assessment is approximately $30,000.
Board members approved that the school district will contribute a maximum of $10,000 provided that at least three of the four entities will participate and that all entities bear equal share of cost.
The cost includes an analysis of the current infrastructure, potential improvements, site assessments, two public forums and four committee meetings.
In other business, the school board:
* Approved the increase of substitute teacher pay rate from $95 to $100 per day.
* Authorized retirement of Cec Burchill as secretary at the Area Learning Center.
* Approved the resignation of Matt Gaudian as baseball coach at the middle school, Juan Gomez as assistant boys’ soccer coach at the high school, Vilath Lovan as head boys’ soccer coach for the high school, Wayne Verdoorn as boys’ soccer coach at the middle school, Beth Rabenberg as third grade teacher with the EDGE program, and Kayla Jensen as education assistant with the EDGE program.
* Approved employment of Shelley Stofferan as emotional and behavioral disorders (EBD) paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary, Joe Landwehr as prom adviser at the high school, Linda Neugebauer as communication arts teacher at the high school, Marj Taarud as dishwasher at Prairie Elementary, Julie Krommendyk as dishwasher at Prairie Elementary, Melissa Van Dyke as fourth grade long-term substitute teacher at Prairie Elementary, Ken Karwoski as baseball coach at the middle school, Tiffany Briggs as first grade program assistant with the EDGE program, Lindsay Anderson as site coordinator with the EDGE program, Missy Van Dyke as fourth grade teacher with the EDGE program, Amy Paulzine as third grade teacher with the EDGE program, Jolyn Nordseth as ESL teacher with the EDGE program, Pam Westendorf as teacher with the EDGE program, Lisa Feldkamp as kindergarten teacher with the EDGE program, Randine Smith as night class special education teacher at the Area Learning Center, and Lance Bird as grounds and facilities custodian at the high school.
* Approved an increase in assignment from 7.5 to 8 hours a day for Perla Banegas as ELL paraprofessional, two hours a week for Keri Statema as instructor with the EDGE program at Prairie Elementary, and 0.83 FTE for Bonnie Bents as family/life science teacher at the high school.
* Approved acceptance of a donation for December 2011 from Rickers Photography.
Daily Globe reporter Ana Anthony can be reached at 376-7321