14 Days of Love: Learn how to cook a simple meal with Hy-Vee's Greta Farley (with video)14 Days of Love: Learn how to cook a simple meal with Hy-Vee's Greta Farley. Click on story to find the recipe.
By: Aaron Hagen, Worthington Daily Globe
Chicken Basil Pasta Alfredo
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 medium white onion
• 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 tsp. jarred minced garlic)
• 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
• ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
• 1 pkg. Al Fresco chicken sausage, sundried tomato variety (or other chicken/turkey sausage)
• ¾ cup white wine
• 1 jar Ragu light Alfredo sauce
• ¼ cup (or more) Fresh basil, torn
• Italian seasoning, to taste
• Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
• Red pepper chili flakes, to taste
• 1 box (14.5 oz.) Hy-Vee Omega-3 penne pasta
• ½ cup pine nuts, toasted dry in pan
• Shredded Parmesan, to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Toast pine nuts in dry pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat a non-stick 12” pan on the stove at medium heat. Add oil to pan and wait until hot.
4. Add onions to pan. Stir until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, garlic and sliced sausage to pan. Continue cooking until meat and mushrooms have browned a bit. Add sundried tomatoes. Pour wine over ingredients and stir.
5. Let mixture reduce to about half.
6. Pour jar of Alfredo over ingredients.
7. Add all seasonings, toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. Add cooked pasta and toss. Top with extra basil and shredded parmesan if preferred. Serve immediately.