Valentine’s fun set for the weekendWORTHINGTON — It’s that time of the year again — when dinner specials are for two and flowers symbolize hidden meanings.
By: Ana Anthony, Worthington Daily Globe
WORTHINGTON — It’s that time of the year again — when dinner specials are for two and flowers symbolize hidden meanings.
In conjunction with Valentine’s Day, area businesses and organizations have lined up a variety of events for this weekend, ranging from food and flowers to entertainment galore.
Reservations are still available at BenLee’s Café downtown for a Valentine’s dinner.
The meal will feature a salad option, a relish tray, an entrée choice of prime rib or broiled shrimp, bleu cheese or baked potatoes, fresh bread and dessert.
“We’re expecting a big crowd,” said BenLee’s employee Jesus Ordaz. “We do something different every year. We try to keep it fresh.”
BenLee’s Valentine Dinner is set for 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Call 343-3400 for reservations.
For entertainment, the Memorial Auditorium will be hosting “The Legend of Motown and More” starring Horizon — a Detroit-based trio — starting at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
Box office manager Janene Winters explained that equipped with their acapella singing skills, choreography and wit, the group will be performing a medley of hits spanning from the 1950s through the 1970s.
“We wanted to get them for some time now,” Winters said. “We want this to be part of your date. They have romantic voices, and they’ll suck you in.”
Tickets are available at the auditorium box office throughout the week and at the door. Call 376-9101 for information.
At McCarthy’s Floral, owner Kelly McCarthy’s advice is “avoid waiting until the last minute.”
McCarthy explained that apart from the ever-popular roses, the store offers up to 25 types of flowers including lilies, Gerbera daisies, and tulips.
All flower arrangements are done in-store.
Bouquet ideas are available on http://www.mccarthysfloral.com/. Phone 372-2544 for flower arrangements and delivery.
Other Valentine’s Day events include:
* Valentine’s Day Special, with a choice from five entrées, two sides, drinks, and a slice of pie to share, Saturday — Tuesday, Perkins, 1445 Darling Drive.
* Sweetheart Dinner, steak and/or shrimp, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Elks Lodge, 1105 Second Ave.
* Valentine’s Dinner Show, with social hour from 6 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m. and followed by a musical, Business, Arts & Recreation Center, Windom. For tickets, phone (507) 831-2375.
* Good Times Singles Dance, music by Mylan Ray, no line dancing, 8 p.m. to midnight, American Legion Hall, Brewster.
* Valentine’s Date Night, reservations only, shrimp scampi fettucine, and local live music, 7 p.m (both this Saturday and Feb. 18), The Lantern Coffeehouse and Roastery, 304, Ninth Street, Sibley, Iowa. Call (712) 754-4594
* Valentine’s Day Special, choice of seafood, pasta or steak, two free drinks, The Crystal Steakhouse, 306, N. Main Ave., Adrian.
* Steak Dinner for Two, Tuesday, A&T Tap, 107, 12th St.
Daily Globe Reporter Ana Anthony can be reached at 376-7321