Letter: K-Kids enjoyed another fine yearThank you and congratulations to the Prairie Elementary K-Kids Club on another extremely successful year.
By: Dale Carlson, Early Risers Kiwanis Club Advisor to K-Kids, Worthington Daily Globe
Thank you and congratulations to the Prairie Elementary K-Kids Club on another extremely successful year. Thanks also goes to the faculty advisors to K-Kids, Zach Dingmann and Stephanie Fletcher, for an excellent job; to the parents for encouraging and supporting the K-Kids program; to principal Josh Noble and the entire staff for their support and help; and to the members of the Worthington Early Risers Kiwanis Club who sponsor K-Kids and help in so many ways.
Here is a listing of the activities for 2011-2012:
* Started the year with an open gym night with a variety of activities for all K-Kids members.
* Sponsored Homecoming Week events at Prairie Elementary.
* Helped the Early Risers Kiwanis Club with Peanut Days, which raised over $1,000 for youth activities in the community.
* Made CARES posters to display around Prairie Elementary. These posters emphasize Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy and Self-Control.
* Helped to sponsor and organize a Veterans Day program to honor all veterans.
* Decorated cookies as part of a holiday party to celebrate Christmas.
* Attended a boys basketball game wearing their K-Kids T-shirts.
* Collected Pennies for Patients and raised $4,892.86 to help Minnesota children with cancer.
* Collected over 150 pounds of food for the Manna Food Pantry in March.
* Collected Campbell Soup labels to be redeemed for school play equipment.
* Planned and organized the Spring Fling week at Prairie Elementary.
* The four officers of K-Kids serve as Prairie Ambassadors to welcome new students to Prairie Elementary. The four officers of the club are Presley Eggers, president; Bryce Olsen, vice president; Will Bradner, treasurer; and Madisyn Huisman, secretary.
* Had an end-of-year bowling party to celebrate a successful year.
* On May 10 the Early Risers Kiwanis Club sponsored an Achievement and Recognition Breakfast for all K-Kids, their parents and Early Risers members. Stephanie Fletcher was honored with a Youth Service Award by the Early Risers Kiwanis Club for her two years of dedicated service as an advisor.
Prairie Elementary K-Kids are proudly sponsored the by Early Risers Kiwanis Club of Worthington. About 75 students from the third and fourth grades participated in K-Kids activities this year. This concluded the 12th year of the local K-Kids Club.