Regular School Board Meeting Minutes - July 17, 2012
REGULAR BOARD MEETING - July 17, 2012
A regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held at the Worthington High School Media Center, 1211 Clary Street, Worthington, Minnesota on July 17, 2012, at 5:15 p.m.
The following were present: BOARD MEMBERS - Joel Lorenz, Steve Schnieder, Mark Shepherd, Scott Rosenberg, Brad Shaffer, Lori Dudley, Linden Olson
ADMINISTRATORS - John Landgaard, Superintendent, Paul Karelis, Principal, Pat Morphew, Accountant ABSENT-Dave Skog, Director of Management Services
Correspondence and Recognition: The board recognized the following: Steve Schnieder and Jorge Lopez for their service on the NCIC advisory boards and others that have served the NCIC; a thank you from Maggie Kraemer and Sandy Ahlberg for their retirement gifts; and thanked Randy Davis for his service to Cable 3.
1. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Shepherd and unanimously passed to approve the Consent Agenda for the July 17, 2012, School Board meeting.
2. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Shepherd and unanimously passed to approve the Main Agenda for the July 17, 2012, School Board meeting.
3. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to approve the minutes of the June 21, 2012, Regular School Board meeting.
Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Rosenberg and unanimously passed to accept the school board committee meeting minutes as received.
4. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve the action of the items on the Consent Agenda as follows:
4.1 Financial Reports -
A. Investments Matured and Purchased
B. Approved Wire Transfers
C. Claims and Accounts for July 17, 2012, as per Board Check Register
Fiscal Yr. 2012/2013
GENERAL FUND $1,374,582.12
FOOD SERVICE $46,244.84
COMMUNITY SERVICE $37,169.70
CAPITAL EXPENDITURES $124,096.06
INTEGRATION COLLABORATIVE $50,832.59
MONTH TOTAL $1,650,277.29
D. Approved the Community Education Imprest Cash Account in the amount of $156.00 for June 2012.
E. Reviewed the Middle School, High School, Prairie Elementary and the Area Learning Center Activity Accounts June 2012.
Middle School Activity Account $9,156.34
High School Activity Account $12,945.43
Prairie Elementary Activity Account $0
Area Learning Center Activity Account $0
4.2.1. Approved resignation of Pat Ahlberg as Media Paraprofessional at the Middle School effective June 5, 2012.
4.2.2. Approved resignation of Chad Kremer as Fourth Grade Teacher at Prairie Elementary effective immediately.
4.2.3. Approved resignation of Allison Birkey as EDGE Secretary with the EDGE Program effective July 3, 2012.
4.2.4. Approved resignation of Lindsay Anderson as EDGE Coordinator with the EDGE Program effective June 29, 2012.
4.2.5. Approved resignation of Stacy Huisman as EL Paraprofessional with the Middle School effective June 29, 2012.
4.2.6. Approved resignation of Ken Karwoski as Volleyball Coach and Baseball Coach at the Middle School effective immediately.
4.2.7. Approved resignation of Ashley Chicos as Special Education Teacher with the High School effective July 11, 2012.
4.2.8. Approved resignation of Sarah Martin as Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective immediately.
4.3.1. Approved employment of Alexy Nunez as Night Custodian at the Area Learning Center effective June 18, 2012.
4.3.2. Approved a transfer of employment of Nancy Landeros from a Class 2 Paraprofessional at the High School to a Class 1 Paraprofessional at the Area Learning Center effective the 2012-2013 school year.
4.3.3. Approved employment of Cristian Banegas as Boys’ Assistant Soccer Coach effective August 13, 2012.
4.3.4. Approved employment of Javier Jimenez as Boys’ Middle School Soccer Coach effective August 12, 2012.
4.3.5. Approved employment of Lequita Mitchell as Special Education Teacher at the Area Learning Center effective August 6, 2012.
4.3.6. Approved employment of Lisa Spieker as Media Specialist at the High School and Middle School effective August 6, 2012.
4.3.7. Approved employment of Sarah Martin as Class III Secretary at the High School effective July 9, 2012.
4.3.8. Approved employment of Maylory Htoo as .20 FTE Bilingual Program Aide with NCIC effective August 15, 2012.
4.3.9. Approved an increase in assignment to a 1.0 FTE for Aida Simon as Bilingual Program Aide with the NCIC effective August 13, 2012.
4.4 Board Dates and Times for Regular and Special Meetings
1) To set the third (3rd) Tuesday of the month as regular Board meeting dates.
2) To set the times of the regular Board meetings at 5:15 p.m. for August 2012 through June 2013.
3) The dates and times of Special Board meetings will be set at regular Board meetings.
4.5 Official Media Sources for District No. 518
1) Approved the Worthington Daily Globe as official publication.
2) Approved KWOA, KITN, K101, KUSQ, KZTP, Worthington Daily Globe and Worthington Cable TV for official and emergency announcements.
4.6 Approved to name the Wells Fargo Bank of Worthington; Bank of the West of Worthington; Rolling Hills Bank and Trust; United Prairie Bank of Worthington; First State Bank Southwest – Worthington; Worthington Federal Savings and Loan; Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund; Saloman Smith Barney Co., Inc.; PMA Securities, Inc.; Piper Jaffray of Minneapolis; and PMA Financial Network, Inc. as 2012-2013 depositories for District No. 518 funds.
4.7 Approved the use of facsimile signatures of Chairman, Clerk and Treasurer on checks issued by the District.
4.8 Approved the firms of Knutson, Flynn & Deans of Mendota Heights; Ratwik, Roszak & Maloney of Minneapolis; Kennedy & Graven of Minneapolis; Todd Ahlquist of Ahlquist and Wiltrout of Worthington and LaVelle Law Office of Worthington as sources of legal counsel.
4.9 Approved Worthington Specialty Clinic; Sanford Regional Hospital Worthington; Sanford Clinic Worthington; and Prairie Rehabilitation Services as sources for medical information and services.
4.10 Approved the substitute teacher rate of $110.00/day for fiscal year 2012-2013.
4.11 Approved membership and policy service renewal with the Minnesota School Boards Association for 2012-2013 in the amount of $6,515.00.
4.12 Approved the milk bid of Joe’s Dairy Inc. as presented for the 2012-2013 school year.
4.13 Approved the bread bid of Interstate Brands Corporation (Wonder Bread) as presented for the 2012-2013 school year.
4.14 Approved Dave Skog as Asbestos Program Manager for the fiscal year 2012-2013.
4.15 Approved Dave Skog as District Pupil Transportation Safety Director for fiscal year 2012-2013.
4.16 Approved the Administration/District to submit Grant applications as received in a timely manner for fiscal year 2012-2013.
4.17 Approved the 2012-2013 Rental Schedule of school facilities as presented.
4.18 Designated John Landgaard as 504 Coordinator and Tony Hastings, Heidi Meyer, and David Rezny as building representatives.
4.19 Designated John Landgaard as Title IX Coordinator.
4.20 Designated John Landgaard as Human Rights Officer.
4.21 Approved the following donations for the month of June 2012: 13th District Bar Association to support Mock Trial Program; Second Harvest for Summer Food Program; and Deans Food Bottle Cap Programs.
4.22 Authorized the auditors to make appropriate year-end adjustments for the 2011-2012 school year.
4.23 Approved organizational chart changes.
4.24 Approved the behavior analyst services agreement with the SW/WC Service Cooperative for 10 days at a cost of $6,350.00.
5. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to approve second reading of policy 515 Protection and Privacy of Pupil Records; policy 530 Immunization Requirements; policy 613 Graduation Requirements; policy 614 School District Testing Plan and Procedure; policy 615 Basic Standards Testing, accommodations, modifications, and exemptions for IEP, Section 504 Accommodation, and LEP Students; policy 618 Assessment of Standard Achievement; policy 620 Credit for Learning; policy 623 Mandatory Summer School Instruction; policy 701 Establishment and Adoption of School District Budget; policy 707 Transportation of Public School Students; policy 805 Waste Reduction and Recycling and policy 807 Health and Safety policy.
6. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Lorenz and unanimously passed to approve the DAC and Achievement Center contracts.
7. Motion by Member Rosenberg, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve a quote from Jaycox Implement in the amount of $10,500.00 for a new lawnmower.
8. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Rosenberg and unanimously passed to approve ShoutPoint contract renewal in the amount of $3,105.00.
9. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Olson to approve a quote for reconstruction of the baseball field.
Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Rosenberg to amend the motion to approve a quote for reconstruction of the baseball field with the clause/condition of guarantee upon the grass can grow. The motion to amend passed 7 to 0.
The original motion as amended passed 7 to 0.
10. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Shepherd and unanimously passed to approve a lease with Marco for two copiers at Prairie Elementary for $1,870.65/month.
The Board further discussed and reviewed the following matters: Investments and financial status; reports on: Superintendent's Report: Mr. Landgaard reported the following: Laws changed on allocated staff development dollars and contract for recreational facilities study and Paul Karelis mentioned the twitter scandal. Instructional Committee Report: Ms. Dudley reported the following: None. Operations Committee Report: None. Other Business: None. Future Business: There is a School Board Work Session scheduled for July 19th at 7 a.m. at the District Office.
Meeting adjourned at 6:05 p.m.
Lori Dudley, Clerk
Lisa Ahrenstorff, Deputy Clerk