Firefighters extinguish kitchen blazeWORTHINGTON — The Worthington Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 11:11 p.m. Tuesday at 1012 Grand Ave.
By: Daily Globe, Worthington Daily Globe
WORTHINGTON — The Worthington Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 11:11 p.m. Tuesday at 1012 Grand Ave.
According to Worthington Fire Chief Rick von Holdt, the fire was contained to the kitchen, evidently ignited by something left cooking on the stove.
“There was a hood over the stove, and it did get up into the vent,” von Holdt said. “So at the peak of the house, there were some flames coming out. We had to go upstairs, get into a crawl space, but it was contained to the vent tube. Nothing around that was charred, like the insulation.”
Firefighters were able to extinguish the primary blaze by breaking out a kitchen window and dousing spraying water through the window.
“We probably had it knocked down in 15 to 20 minutes, but stayed on the scene for about an hour to make sure we didn’t get called back for a rekindling,” said von Holdt.
All of the residents were safely out of the house by the time the fire crew arrived. The Worthington Ambulance was dispatched to the scene to assist an elderly female who was feeling faint, but von Holdt was unsure if the woman was a resident of the house or just an onlooker.
The house sustained moderate smoke and water damage, and the residents planned to stay with relatives until repairs could be made, according to von Holdt.