Special School Board Meeting Minutes - Nov. 14, 2012
SPECIAL BOARD MEETING - November 14, 2012
A special meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held at the District Administration Office, 1117 Marine Avenue, Worthington, Minnesota on November 14, 2012, at 7:30 a.m.
The following were present: BOARD MEMBERS – Lori Dudley, Joel Lorenz, Linden Olson, Steve Schnieder, Brad Shaffer, Mark Shepherd, Scott Rosenberg
ADMINSTRATORS – John Landgaard, Superintendent, Dave Skog, Director of Management Services.
1. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Rosenberg and unanimously passed to approve the agenda for the November 14, 2012, Special School Board meeting.
2. Board Member Schnieder introduced the following Resolutions and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION CANVASSING RETURNS
OF VOTES OF SCHOOL DISTRICT GENERAL ELECTION
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, as follows:
1. It is hereby found, determined and declared that the general election of the voters of the district held on November 6, 2012, was in all respects duly and legally called and held.
2. As specified in the attached Abstract and Return of Votes Cast, a total of 6,642 voters of the district voted at said election on the election of four (4) school board members for four-year term vacancies on the board caused by expiration of term on December 31st next following the general election; as follows:
4 Year Term: Candidate – Bradley S. Shaffer 3,675 votes
4 Year Term: Candidate- Linden Olson 3,578 votes
4 Year Term: Candidate – Joel Lorenz 3,525 votes
4 Year Term: Candidate – Stephen Schnieder 3,509 votes
Write-Ins 95 votes
3. Candidates Bradley S. Shaffer, Linden Olson, Joel Lorenz and Stephen Schnieder having received the highest number of votes, are elected to four-year terms beginning January 1, 2013, and expiring December 31, 2016.
4. The school district clerk is hereby authorized to certify the results of the election to the county auditor of each county in which the school district is located in whole or in part and to the Commissioner of Education.
The motion for the adoption for the foregoing Resolution was duly seconded by Board Member Dudley and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Steve Schnieder, Joel Lorenz, Brad Shaffer, Lori Dudley, Mark Shepherd, Scott Rosenberg, Linden Olson.
and the following voted against the same: None.
whereupon, said Resolution was declared duly passed and adopted
(Attach Abstract and Return of Votes Cast)
WORTHINGTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 518
STATE OF MINNESOTA
ABSTRACT AND RETURN OF VOTES CAST
GENERAL ELECTION HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH
THE STATE GENERAL ELECTION
NOVEMBER 6, 2012
A. Total number of persons registered at 7 o’clock a.m. 7,138
B. Total number of persons registered on election day 1,179
C. Number of accepted regular, military and overseas absentee ballots 727
D. Total number of persons voting in the general election 6,642
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER (4 Year)
CANDIDATE Bradley S. Shaffer 3,675
CANDIDATE Linden Olson 3,578
CANDIDATE Joel Lorenz 3,525
CANDIDATE Stephen Schnieder 3,509
Total number of write in votes for this office 95
3. Board Member Olson introduced the following Resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION RELATED TO THE
EXPULSION OF THE STUDENT IDENTIFIED
IN THE ATTACHMENTS HERETO
AS THE “STUDENT”
WHEREAS, the Student was proposed for expulsion pursuant to the Pupil Fair Dismissal Act, Minn. Stat. §§ 121A.40-121.56; and
WHEREAS, the Student and her parents were served the written notice of the School District’s intent to initiate expulsion proceedings and such notice was accompanied by a copy of the Pupil Fair Dismissal Act, Minn. Stat. §§ 121A.40-121A.56, as required under the Act; and
WHEREAS, the Student and her parents elected to waive the scheduled hearing with the understanding that by such waiver, the proposed terms of expulsion would be submitted for action to the School Board of Independent School District No. 518.
THEREFORE, BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 518 as follows:
1. The School Board hereby accepts the Waiver of Hearing executed by the Student and her parents, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit A and incorporated herein by reference.
2. By reviewing the record relating to the matter, the School Board hereby finds that due to the nature of the conduct engaged in by the Student, the terms of expulsion proposed by the School District are reasonable and appropriate.
3. The School Board of Independent School District No. 518 hereby orders that the expulsion of the Student be imposed immediately pursuant to the Pupil Fair Dismissal Act, Minn. Stat. §§ 121A.40-121A.56. Said expulsion shall be imposed in accordance with the written notice provided to the Student and her parents, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit B.
4. The School Board of Independent School District No. 518 also approves the terms of the Agreement with the Student and her parents, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit C.
5. The Clerk of the School Board is directed to provide written notice of the expulsion to the Student and her parents in substantially the form as provided in attachment Exhibit D.
6. It is further ordered that pursuant to a proper request, the School District shall provide copies of the Resolution. However, any release of said Resolution shall not include the exhibits or attachments hereto as the School Board hereby finds that such materials constitute private data on individuals pursuant to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minn. Stat.§13.32.
The motion for the adoption for the foregoing Resolution was duly seconded by Board Member Shepherd and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Brad Shaffer, Linden Olson, Lori Dudley, Steve Schnieder, Mark Shepherd, Scott Rosenberg, Joel Lorenz.
and the following voted against the same: None.
whereupon, said Resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
Meeting adjourned at 7:37 a.m.
Lori Dudley, Clerk
Lisa Ahrenstorff, Deputy Clerk