GYMNASTICS: Kinley takes all-around; Trojans fall to New UlmWORTHINGTON — The Trojan gymnastics team fell short of first place by 2.4 points to the New Ulm Eagles despite the efforts of Paige Kinley, who took first in two events on her way to claiming the top stop in the all-around Tuesday.
By: Daily Globe, Worthington Daily Globe
WORTHINGTON — The Trojan gymnastics team fell short of first place by 2.4 points to the New Ulm Eagles despite the efforts of Paige Kinley, who took first in two events on her way to claiming the top stop in the all-around Tuesday.
“We might have taken the loss tonight, but I feel like it was still a huge success,” WHS coach Joni Reitmeier said. “I feel awesome about tonight. We scored 125 in our first meet and we improved this time to get a 131.”
The Eagles finished the night with a total score of 133.825, while the Trojans got a 131.475.
“We are always looking to improve and we did that tonight,” Reitmeier said. “But there is still room for improvement.”
New Ulm’s Michaela Otterstatter grabbed first place in the vault with Worthington’s Maria Contreras and Kinley taking second and third, respectively.
Kinley was the only Trojan to place in the top four in the uneven parallel bars, nabbing first by just .45 points.
Emily Gulden of New Ulm took first in the balance beam, with Liz Hayenga finishing in second and Kinley taking fourth.
Kinley snagged her second first place finish in the floor exercise beating out Gulden by just .1 points.
Following Kinley in the all-around standings was Gulden taking second, Otterstatter placing third and Contreras finishing fourth.
“I couldn’t have asked for more from the girls tonight,” Reitmeier said.
The Trojans open up their conference schedule when Marshall comes to town Thursday for a 6 p.m. meet.
New Ulm 133.825,
1. Kinley (W) 34.700; 2. Emily Gulden (NU) 33.900; 3. Michaela Otterstatter (NU) 33.600; 4. Maria Contreras (W) 31.950.
1. Otterstatter (NU) 8.900; 2. Contreras (W) 8.850; 3. Kinley (W) 8.825; 4. Allison Rosenhamer (NU) 8.800.
Uneven Parallel Bars
1. Kinley (W) 8.725; 2. Kim Berg (NU) 8.275; 3. Otterstatter (NU) 7.975; 4. Molly Klimek (NU) 7.825.
1. Gulden (NU) 8.800; 2. Liz Hayenga (W) 8.550; 3. Otterstatter (NU) 8.275; 4. Kinley (W) 8.225.
1. Kinley (W) 8.925; 2. Gulden (NU) 8.825; 3. Otterstatter (NU) 8.750; 4. Contreras (W) 8.725.