Weather Forecast


Looking Back: 2004 - City of Windom begins municipal telecom project

One year ago

Terri Janssen began work as the new Nobles County Community Health Administrator/Health Services Supervisor. She was to oversee public health programming in the county.

Raul Gross, 17, a native of Estonia, was visiting Worthington for the summer and participating in the “Amazing” Worthington City Band as a flutist.

Isaac Wass directed the 26th annual melodrama that was staged as part of the Old-Fashioned Fourth of July at Pioneer Village. A cast of 17 appeared in the show “Dogsbreath Devereaux.”

The Herrig family of rural Slayton completed the “Triple Crown” of sheep shows last weekend, with their final win coming at the Midwest Stud Ram Sale in Sedalia, Mo.

Worthington’s American Reformed Church celebrated its 100th anniversary.

Dozens of people helped celebrate the dedication of Jackson’s newest mile trail — the Springfield Parkway trail, which connected with an established trail near the town’s Baptist church. The trail dedication marked the completion of seven trail projects that connected through the community and to a trio of county parks.

Five years ago

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office found the body of a 39-year-old man in a wooded, grassy area in Belmont Park seven miles north of Jackson. Foul play was not suspected in the death of the Lakefield man, although an autopsy was ordered by the sheriff’s department.

The Worthington City Council met to take its first steps to deal with an unallotment of nearly $439,000 from its 2010 Local Government Aid payment. Council members agreed on a rough 40-60 percentage for off-setting the reduction.

Nobles County commissioners approved several recommendations to address a looming budget shortfall. They included instating a voluntary early retirement program for eligible county employees, notifying all bargaining units of a proposed 2010 pay freeze for all county employees and directing all department heads to cut 10 to 15 percent in personnel and operational service budgets for the coming year.

The Worthington High School Class of 1944 celebrated its 65th reunion. Vivian Flynn, Worthington, coordinated the gathering, which took place at the Travelodge with 37 classmates attending.

10 years ago

Spring price peaks for soybeans preceded by negative crush margins in late winter brought to a standstill the Minnesota Soybean Processors’ plans to construct a 30-million gallon soybean biodiesel refinery. Board members decided to put the $14 million facility on hold.

Daily Globe reviewer Katherine Hedeen previewed the Okoboji Summer Theatre’s production of “Social Security” this week.

Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church, Wilmont, celebrated its 100th anniversary.

The City of Windom broke ground on the first municipal telecommunications project of its kind in the state. The project would provide a state-of-the-art telephone, Internet and television system to replace the current city cable TV system of 53 local, network and cable channels.

Playing this week at Northland Cinema 5, Worthington, were “Spiderman 2,” “Dodgeball,” “The Terminal,” “The Notebook” and “White Chicks.”

25 years ago

Monfort Pork of Worthington was in the process of hiring 500 additional employees for a second shift at the plant. That second shift was scheduled to start operating July 24, and 350 to 375 workers were still needed to staff it.

Playing this week at Excellence Theaters in Northland Mall, Worthington, were “Batman” starring Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton, “The Karate Kid III” featuring Ralph Macchio and “Ghostbusters II.”

The Worthington High School Class of 1969 had its 20th reunion.

Gil and Myrtle Gilbertson, Chandler, celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary. The couple was married June 27, 1919, and had raised 10 children including two sets of twins.

Candidates for the title of Miss Heron Lake-Okabena were Melissa Freking, Linda Haberman, Teresa Polzine, Jennifer Milbrath and Kimm Symens.

A 52-year-old Adrian man was killed and three other people were injured in a two-car accident in rural Moorhead Sunday.

50 years ago

One wall of the Hoffman and Olson Cleaners on the south side of the Windom square collapsed Tuesday at 2 p.m., scattering workmen who were digging a foundation below. No one was injured in the mishap, but the damage was heavy. Workmen were excavating at the rear of the Morris Furniture Co. store, cutting near the foundation of a portion of the cleaning firm, when a wall of the cleaners suddenly cracked. A small part of the wall tumbled into the excavation and workmen quickly ran out of the way.

Rain poured into the Worthington area overnight and everyone cheered. The official rain gauge at the KWOA transmitter five miles west of Worthington measured .99 of an inch at 10 a.m. Dominick Costello, the station’s weather observer, said the gauge showed .13 of an inch from 6 p.m. Tuesday until 7 a.m. Wednesday. Then, Costello said, winds up to 50 miles per hour swept in from the northwest, dumping .70 of an inch in 45 minutes. City Clerk Gordon Thompson said the rain would help boost the level of Lake Okabena.

An “orange tag sale” at Herbert Rexall Drug, Worthington, offered aerosol spray starch for 49 cents, 300 aspirin for 99 cents, 200 buffered aspirin for 98 cents, a 14-ounce can of house and garden spray for $1.09, 10 stainless steel blades for 88 cents, 100 children’s aspirin for 39 cents, and a 14-ounce can of ant and roach spray for 69 cents.

A bus carrying 36 American Field Service students from 21 foreign countries arrived in Worthington at 8 p.m. July 1 for a three-day stay, according to Mrs. Cornelius Feenstra, general chairwoman of the event. The students’ visit to Worthington was a cooperative effort of the Worthington-Crailsheim International, Inc., and the Worthington Youth Council of Churches. Families were hosting the students during their local stay.

75 years ago

Worthington’s 8,000,000 candle-power beacon, mounted on the 125-foot courthouse tower, was the target of a lightning bolt Monday afternoon, which seemed to everybody within a block to be aimed at the back of his/her neck. A number of fuses throughout the structure were put out of commission, but there was no damage to the beacon itself, which was equipped with lightning arresters for such an emergency.

Ed Clausen, who farmed five miles south of Worthington, celebrated the Fourth of July by bringing in a stalk of corn which measured 8 feet, 10 inches. The corn was of a flint variety, grown in the barnyard.

Oppressive heat, developing as the day drew on, kept hundreds of Worthington people from venturing far on the Fourth. They spent the day in the shade, or searching for a breeze. Chautauqua Park was a favored picnic spot, but a strong south wind, setting in toward shore, made bathing at the park beach unattractive, and drove swimmers to likely spots across the lake. The top mercury was 91, accompanied by high humidity.

The first attempt at algae treatment in Lake Okabena in more than 30 years appeared to be having some effect, with city officials asking that judgment being suspended for four or five days. By then, it was believed, some conclusion could be drawn at to the success of the experiment. In embarking on control of the green scum pest, the city was guided by the experience of Fairmont, which uses a carload of copper sulphate per year.