Weather Forecast


Cardinals secure Southwest Conference championship

GARRETSON, S.D. -- Playing on the new artificial turf at Garretson, the Luverne Cardinals scored four rushing touchdowns and secured an undefeated Southwest Conference championship with a 26-12 victory over Redwood Valley.

Luverne (6-0, 7-1) churned out 351 yards on the ground, including a 157-yard effort from Phil Paquette (on 15 carries). Cardinal quarterback Jeremy Hoff rushed eight times for 88 yards, including the first two Luverne touchdowns.

Hoff opened the scoring on a 77-yard burst in the first quarter and added a 16-yard TD in the second.

Paquette streaked 66 yards for the third Cardinal touchdown and Zack Clark rambled 36 yards on a reverse for Luverne's fourth TD, building a 26-6 lead in the third quarter.

Sebastian Sousa Soares kicked a pair of PAT's for the Cardinals.

Redwood Valley (1-5, 2-6) netted 13 first downs and gained a total of 279 yards (194 rushing, 85 passing on 6-of-18),

Luverne had 15 first downs and Hoff completed both of the passes that he threw -- one to Weston Sawtelle and another to Mitch Bauman, each for five yards, giving the Cardinals 361 yards of total offense.

Redwood Valley scored on a 18-yard pass play from Michael Felt to Justin Theis in the second quarter and on a 60-yard run by D.J. Harazin in the fourth.

There were no turnovers in the contest, despite the continual rainfall.

Luverne will be the top-seed in Section 3AA and will host a playoff quarterfinal game Tuesday.

Redwood 0 6 0 6 -- 12

Luverne 7 13 6 0 -- 26

PA 26, Windom 20 (OT)

WINDOM -- Pipestone Area prevailed in an overtime thriller that was close all the way.

The Arrows (3-3, 5-3) had the ball first in the overtime and on a third-and-goal from the five, scored what proved to the game-winner when Sam Schneider was nearly stopped at the line-of-scrimmage, but bounced to the outside and scooted in for an Arrow touchdown.

The Eagles (0-6, 1-7) came ever so close to knotting the game on their possession. After two running plays netted five yards, Windom nearly scored when Ryan Gilbertson's pass to Brett Dumke was tipped by an Arrow defender in the end zone.

On the next play -- fourth and goal, from the five -- Dumke and a PA defender had dual possession of the ball just six inches shy of the goal line, ending the game with an Arrow victory.

The Eagles, who gained 180 yards on the ground and passed for 56, scored the game's first touchdown when A.J. Stevens (five carries, 76 yards) ripped off a 66-yard run.

PA countered with a time-consuming drive, capped by Schneider's eight-yard TD.

The Arrows took the lead in the second quarter when Doug Mead connected with Greg Quist on a 54-yard scoring strike.

Just before halftime, the Eagles tied the game at 13-13 when Gilbertson (five-of-12, 48 yards) tossed a 34-yard touchdown pass to Clint Jurgens. Tim Arlinghaus booted the extra-point.

The Arrows went up 20-13 in the third quarter when Schneider scored from 13 yards out and Jon Schelhaas kicked his second PAT of the game.

Windom rallied in the fourth quarter and scored with six minutes remaining on an eight-yard pass play from Stevens to Dumke. Arlinghuas's kick tied the game at 20.

Each team had a possession at the end of regulation, but neither could score -- setting up the overtime.

Dumke had four catches for the Eagles and Brett Lohse rushed the ball 18 times for 68 yards.

PA 6 7 7 0 6 -- 26

Windom 6 7 0 7 0 -- 20