Weather Forecast


Round Lake fire leaves three people homeless

2:50 p.m. Update:

ROUND LAKE -- A Wednesday morning fire that destroyed a mobile home in Round Lake has left two adults and their teenage son homeless.

The Round Lake Fire Department was paged at 8:55 a.m. Wednesday to 106 First Ave., to find the mobile home completely engulfed, according to Fire Chief Mike Smith. An adult male home at the time was not injured, although two family pets -- a dog and a cat -- died in the blaze.

Smith said the fire is believed to have started from a spark after the adult male used a blow torch to thaw out some pipes under the home.

"He said he didn't see anything around that could start a fire, but there must have been something that sparked," Smith said.

Wednesday morning's wind helped to fuel the fire, which Smith said took some time to extinguish.

"It was a nice enough day today so we didn't have any trouble with hoses freezing up," he added.

Smith said firefighters remained on the scene until about 11:30 a.m., and the house was deemed a total loss.

Jennifer Hyk, executive director of the Southwest Minnesota Chapter of the American Red Cross said she was on scene by 10:30 a.m. Wednesday to get the family immediate assistance.

"One adult escaped with his slippers, but no coat," said Hyk. "They lost every-thing."

The Red Cross issued the family vouchers for a coat, clothing and shoes, as well as money for groceries. Hyk said the Red Cross will also pay for their stay in a hotel for two nights.

"We were also able to give them some blankets and items of clothing we had in our van," she said.

Hyk said the family did not have insurance on the mobile home.

"We provided them with some resources to get help beyond what we are able to do," she added.

Original post:

A Wednesday morning fire that destroyed a trailer house in Round Lake has left three people homeless. They have already been supplied temporary housing for the next two nights by the American Red Cross.

The occupants of the home included two adults and one teen-aged person.

Round Lake firefighters arrived on the scene at about 8 a.m. Wednesday to find the trailer house totally engulfed.

Additional details on the fire will be posted later today at, and a full story will be in Thursday's Daily Globe.

Julie Buntjer

Julie Buntjer joined the Globe newsroom in December 2003, after working more than nine years for weekly newspapers. A native of Worthington, she has a bachelor's degree in agriculture journalism. Find more of her stories of farm life, family and various other tidbits at

(507) 376-7330