Weather Forecast


Worthington man charged with burglary

WORTHINGTON -- It isn't unusual for officers to struggle with getting an alleged criminal into a squad car, but authorities Sunday morning had to threaten a Worthington man with a taser to get him out of a squad car.

Sterling Tyrone Livingston, 39, was charged Monday with two counts of first-degree burglary, domestic assault, criminal damage to property and trespass after being arrested in the early morning hours Sunday.

The complaint states dispatchers received an emergency call around 3 a.m. and could hear screaming, but no one spoke.

At the scene, officers found a male and a female outside. The door on the residence appeared to have been forced open, and pieces of the wood frame of the door were lying on the floor inside the house.

After the two people were separated, the woman said the male, Livingston, had come to her home upset and knocked on the door, then forced it open and come inside.

He had come to see his son, she said, who was not there. Once inside, he had gone to the boy's room and broken the door frame, causing the hinges to separate from the frame.

While the officer was speaking with the female, he had Livingston wait outside for another officer. When the second officer arrived, the two escorted Livingston to a squad car.

One officer photographed the damages to the house while the other took a recorded statement from the victim.

She said Livingston did not hit her but did push her on the side of the face, causing her to fall to the floor.

The officers went out to the squad car where Livingston was being detained and told him he was under arrest.

They asked him to step out of the squad car so he could be patted down and handcuffed, but Livingston refused to get out, arguing with the officers.

One officer unholstered his taser and told Livingston he would be tased if he did not comply, but Livingston allegedly continued to argue.

The officers tried to pull him out of the car, but the slippery weather conditions and Livingston's size complicated the situation.

Eventually, Livingston complied and got out of the squad car so he could be searched and cuffed.

He allegedly stated he had done nothing wrong and had only come to see his son. He denied forcing open any doors.

At the law enforcement center, he refused to talk to anyone and asked to speak to an attorney.

Livingston has a previous conviction for disorderly conduct from a plea agreement in 2005, in which charges for violating a restraining order and domestic assault were dismissed.