Weather Forecast


NCSI hosts Father's Day racing

WORTHINGTON -- Nobles County Speedway hosted a Father's Day edition of racing Sunday evening at the Worthington oval.

Slumberland was the sponsor for the night of competion, which featured some father-son rivalries and plenty of excitement.


Elray Sybesma brought them around and jumped in the lead, but Todd Uhl quickly took the top spot. Joey Streeter took second and Kenny Johnson third, while Sybesma dropped to fourth. Streeter would soon lose a tire and bring out the caution flag.

Going back green, Uhl continued to lead and Streeter quickly moved back up to battle for second with Johnson. Streeter, on the bottom. tried to get closer as the checkered flag neared, but Johnson held him off. Uhl took first, Johnson was second, Streeter third and Sybesma fourth.

Hobby Stock

Tyler Pospisil and John Ross brought the field around to take the green. Malik Sampson (inside), Jerry Groenwold (middle) and Dan Strandberg (high side) went three-wide for the lead, with Standberg moving out in front. Pospisil was second and followed by Sampson, Groenwold and Brad Halbur. Chad Lonnerman and Jeremy VanEde would soon get together, bringing out the caution.

Going back green, Sampson took over second and Pospisil fell back as Groenwold and Halbur quickly moved past. Russ Ellefson, getting into the guard rail, would roll down the back stretch and bring out the red flag.

Strandberg continued out in front of Sampson, Groenwold, Halbur and Justin Luinenburg, who had moved up from last place into the top five. Sampson went under Groenwold and Luinenburg made his way around Halbur. Strandberg would soon get a flat tire coming out of corner two, bringing out the caution.

Sampson became the new leader with Groenwold and Luinenburg right behind, Halbur and Cory Probst rounding out the top five as went back green. Coming to the white flag, Luinenburg got past Groenwold for second. Luinenburg, on the outside, went on to duel with Sampson, who ultimately held on by inches to take the win. Groenwold was third, Halbur fourth and VanEde fifth.

Mini Sprints

As they took the green Dan Dayscher spun coming out of corner three, and Curt Schuur -- with nowhere to go -- went upside down, bringing out the red flag. On a complete restart, Wade Huisman and Zack Drahota brought the cars around to take the green.

Drahota fell back with Derek Steen, Brandon Buyss and Shan Fick all moving past. Steen, on the bottom, would soon take the lead, with Buyss also getting under Huisman for second. They went single-file to the white flag and Huisman, on the high side, moved past Buyss while Steen fell further back.

Coming to the checkered flag, Huisman would take first and Buyss second. Fick was third, Steen fourth and Chris Breen fifth.


Ray Bertrand grabbed the early lead with Dan Ahlers, on the inside, looking to make a pass for the edge. That's when Collen DeRuyter and Steve Bents got together, bringing out the caution. DeRuyter was charged with the caution, and Bents would get his spot back.

Bertrand wanted to keep the top spot, but Ahlers and Bents both looked to take it. As the racers went back green, they would go three-wide down the back stretch with both Ahlers and Bents getting around Bertrand. Bents moved out front with Ahlers second; Bertrand fell to third, Jason Fisher fourth and Brad Joynt fifth.

As they raced to the white flag, Ahlers got under Bents. As they went into corner two Bents getting back under Ahlers, and as they came into corner four Bents was on the high side and Ahlers on the bottom. The two would drag down the front stretch side-by-side to the checkered with Ahlers getting the win. Bents took second, Fisher was third, Bertrand fourth and Joynt fifth.

Street Stock

With it being Father's Day, it was only fitting that Jim Larson shared the front row with his oldest son, Jeffery. But another driver who couldn't be counted out was his youngest son, Dustin, who would be pushing right behind them.

As they took the green, Jim Larson jumped out to an early lead with Jeffery maintaining the second position. Luke Sathoff got under Dustin for third. Dave Peterson would soon spin, bringing out the caution.

As they went back green coming out of corner one, Corey Groenwold spun to bring out the caution once again. Jim Larson, Sathoff, Jeffery Larson, Dustin Larson and Ricky Prints were in the one-through-five spots, but it would not last -- Sathoff pulled to the top of the track, bringing out another caution.

Jim Larson looked to hold off his boys, who fell into place right behind him. Johnson moved past Prins into fourth. Jeffery, pushing on his dad's back bumper, tried to find a way around as Prins spun, bringing out another caution flag.

Going back green, Jeffery -- on the bottom of his dad -- got past him for the lead on the backstretch. As he made his way into line, Jim gave his son a little love tap just to let him know he was right behind. They took the checkered flag with Jeffery getting the win, Jim second and Dustin holding third. Groenwold was fourth and Johnson fifth.


Don Gerritsen Jr. and Justin Anderson brought the field around to take the green flag. Anderson got out front with Gerritsen, Jason Briese, Brandon Aggen and Dwaine Hanson in the top five as they all fell into line.

Racing to the halfway point, Gerritsen tried to get under Anderson, but Anderson held his line and continued to lead. As they came down the backstretch, Gerritsen and Anderson made contact and Anderson would make his way to the work area with a flat tire. Going back green Briese, Aggen and Hanson made their way to the front, with Gerritsen and Anderson both in the back. Anderson worked his way into third and Briese pulled to the high side, bringing out the caution.

Aggen took the top spot as they went back green. He went on to win the race with Anderson second, Hanson third, and Gerritsen fourth.