Weather Forecast


PREP FOOTBALL: Sheldon, H-LP fall in Iowa FB playoffs

NEWELL -- Kade Heikens scored the only touchdown of the game for the Harris-Lake Park Wolves in a 47-7 loss to the Newell-Fonda Mustangs Monday night in the Iowa 8-man state football tournament.

The Mustangs took an early 20-0 lead in the first quarter and added another 20 points in the second quarter to go up 40-0 heading into half time.

H-LP was able to hold Newell-Fonda to just seven points in the third quarter, but was still unable to get on the board itself.

Heikens finally punched the ball into the end zone for the Wolves in the fourth quarter on an eight-yard run. H-LP shutout the Mustangs in the fourth, but they could not muster enough points to get themselves back in the game.

Heikens led the team in rushing with 79 yards on 19 carries and a touchdown for the Wolves, while recording a tackle for loss on defense. Tanner Hiveley was the team leader in tackles with 13 on the night as well as a tackle for loss. Eli Ihnen picked up nine tackles for the Wolves.

With the loss, H-LP was knocked out of the state tournament and ended the season with an 8-3 record.

Newell-Fonda (11-0) will move on to play Nov. 2 for the chance to make it to the semifinal game on Nov. 8.

H-LP 0 0 0 7 -- 7

N-F 20 20 7 0 -- 47

Spirit Lake 43, Sheldon 7

SPIRIT LAKE, Iowa --Senior running back Bryson McCabe scored three touchdowns and broke up a long potential Sheldon touchdown pass to help the host Spirit Lake Indians claim a convincing, 43-7, victory over the Sheldon Orabs in an Iowa Class 2A Round of 16 high school football state playoff game Monday night.

After each team was unable to generate much offense on their first three offensive possessions, McCabe caught a 41-yard screen pass from Indians' quarterback Paul Brown and scampered 41 yards for the game's first touchdown with 1:47 to play in the opening quarter.

Spirit Lake stretched its lead in the game's next 12 minutes, scoring four touchdowns -- including a 30-yard fumble recovery return by Brady Mart with 1:53 remaining in the first half -- to take a commanding, 36-0, lead at intermission.

Brown scored on a 12-yard run a minute into the second quarter and five minutes later, Cody Poock bolted across the goal line from four yards out.

Holder Brandon Stoll passed to Max Kruse for a two-point conversion following Poock's touchdown, otherwise kicker Brett Cochran-Bray was a perfect five-of-five after Spirit Lake's first, second, fourth, fifth and sixth TD's.

Between Brown's touchdown and Poock's six-pointer, the Orabs had moved the chains for several first downs behind the running of Hunter McDonald, Matt Dykstra and versatile quarterback Chris Balster, who was playing with a severely bruised hamstring.

McCabe came up with a key pass deflection on a long pass from Balster to Nathan Oostra, which looked like an Orabs' touchdown until McCabe knocked the ball away.

With 3:10 to play in the second quarter, McCabe was on the receiving end of a double handoff play and rambled 26 yards for an Indians' touchdown.

Seventy-seven seconds later, Mart crossed the goal on his scoop and score to close out the first-half scoring.

McCabe completed Spirit Lake's offensive outburst with a tackle-avoiding 93-yard touchdown gallop at the 9:50 mark of the third quarter.

Sheldon, which finished a fine season with an 8-3 overall record, scored in the fourth quarter on a 15-yard touchdown run by Logan Otis -- a few plays after a fumble recovery by Darin Greenfield.

Spirit Lake advances to the 2A state quarterfinals with a 10-1 record and will tangle with undefeated Rock Valley/Boyden-Hull, the only team to outscore the Indians this season.

Sheldon 0 0 0 7 -- 7

Spirit Lake 7 29 7 0 -- 43