Weather Forecast


PREP WRESTLING: Two area wrestlers remain in sectional tournament

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Two area wrestlers are still alive in the Iowa High School Athletic Association Individual State Tournament after the second day of competition at Wells-Fargo Arena Friday.

Central Lyon/George-Little Rock's Colby McIntire won two straight matches Friday to put him one dual away from the third place match in the Class 1A 126 pound weight class.

McIntire lost in the opening round of the tournament Thursday, but won his wrestleback to move on to face Aplington-Parkersburg's Shane Poppens. The dual lasted for 1 minute, 41 seconds before McIntire took down Poppens for a pin.

In his second match of the day, McIntire grappled with Kuemper Catholic/Carroll's Jared Eischeid. Eischeid lasted longer against McIntire than Poppens, but the result was the same, with McIntire getting the pin in 4:29. McIntire wrestles Don Bosco/Gilbertville's Nathan Schmitz today to play for the third place crown.

After winning in the first round of the Class 2A 220-pound division, Bryce Kelleher of Sheldon/ South O'Brien took on Sergeant Bluff-Luton's Tyler Nguyen in the second round. Kelleher pinned Nguyen in 3:57 to move on to the semifinals.

Kelleher faces Adam Reth of West Delaware/ Manchester today for the right to wrestle in the championship match.

Coming off a first round loss and wrestleback win, CL/G-LR's 106-pound wrestler Treyton Virtue took on St. Edmond/Fort Dodge's Ryan Szalat in his third match of the tournament. Szalat turned out to be too much for Virtue, picking up the pin in 2:48 to bounce Virtue from the tournament.

After winning his first match in the Class 1A 182-pound tournament, Sibley-Ocheyedan's Dylan Brockshus wrestled Audubon's Jesse Svoboda, but lost by pin in 1:44.

In his wrestleback match, Brockshus faced St. Edmond/Fort Dodge's Dillon Nelson. Nelson won the match by a 5-1 decision to eliminate Brockshus from the tournament.

Sheldon/South O'Brien's 170-pound wrestler Toby Maggert lost his first match Friday then won in his wrestleback dual to face Fairfield's Seth Davisson Friday. Maggert lost the match on an 8-3 decision, forcing an early exit from the tournament.