Weather Forecast


Looking Back: 1943 got off to a bitterly cold start, too

One year ago

Two Worthington families were accepting donations after losing all of their belongings in a house fire on Christmas Day. One was a family of five, with three children ranging in age from two to 12 years old, and the other was a family of four, with three children ranging in age from 12 to 22 years old. A family dog was also lost to the blaze, bringing extra heartache to one family.

The District 518 school board appointed Victoria Blanchette to fulfill the unexpired term of Ann Mills at a special Tuesday morning meeting. Blanchette was one of nine citizens who submitted applications for the open seat.

Giselle Mejia was the first baby born at Sanford Worthington Medical Center in 2017. She was the daughter of Julio Mejia and Veronica Albarenga, and she arrived at 10:31 a.m. Jan. 1 weighing six pounds, three ounces. She was the married couple's sixth child but only their second daughter.

Five years ago

Kaizen Tien Muongkhot was the first baby born at Sanford Worthington Medical Center in 2013. Kaizen, the son of Estee Creegen and Kham Muongkhot of Jackson, arrived at 6:32 a.m. Jan. 1 — a mere 26 minutes after his parents arrived at the hospital. Kaizen weighed seven pounds, one ounce; his due date was Jan. 6.

Luverne Street Music opened its doors to students this week in downtown Luverne. Owners were Janine Papik and LaDonna Iveland.

Randy Thompson began work as the new executive director of the Worthington Housing and Redevelopment Authority.

Flu season started earlier than usual, and cases of both Influenza A and Influenza B had been diagnosed locally, officials at Avera Worthington Specialty Clinic confirmed.

10 years ago

A Celebration of Three Kings event took place at Worthington's Prairie Elementary on Sunday, with people from the entire community invited to participate in the traditional Mexican event known as Dia de los Reyes.

Ryan and Melissa Olsem, Fulda, were the parents of Owen Vincent Olsem, the first baby to be born at Worthington Regional Hospital in 2008. Owen arrived at 2:44 a.m. Jan. 1, weighing eight pounds, four ounces. Owen, the Olsems' first child, was a week overdue.

Showing this week at Worthington's Northland Cinema were "I am Legend," "No Country for Old Men," "August Rush," "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and "The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep."

White-out conditions made travel hazardous on area roads on Thursday, causing several traffic accidents.

Carolee Anderson was the new owner of Worthington's H & R Block franchise. She purchased the business from Larry and Vida Iten, who had owned it for the previous 25 years. Anderson moved the business to a new location on Oxford Street.

25 years ago

Worthington's Cultural Diversity Coalition designed a job titled Hispanic Community Helper, with funding from the Interagency Adult Learning Grant the coalition received in 1992.

Ed Sansom was the new curriculum director for ISD 518. Prior to joining the local district, Sansom was serving as a middle school principal in northern Michigan.

Kerrona Marie Petersen was the first baby born at Worthington Regional Hospital in 1993. She was the daughter of Shauna Petersen of Ocheyedan, iowa. Kerrona arrived at 5:22 a.m. Jan. 2 weighing nine pounds, seven ounces. Her original due date was Dec. 22.

Cindy and Dean Morin opened C & D's Cafe in Currie. The business was formerly known as Rona's End-O-Line Saloon, run by Rona Fredrickson.

Worthington native David Minge was sworn in as a new U.S. Congressman on Tuesday. Minge, a Worthington High School graduate, was a Democrat from Montevideo. He succeeded Slayton's Vin Weber, who did not seek reelection.

50 years ago

Two businesses in downtown Hospers, Iowa, were destroyed by a fire that raged out of control in 12-degree-below-zero temperatures on New Year's Eve. The Hospers Produce Company and Stuit Shoe Company were burned out in the blaze that began around 3:30 a.m. The fire apparently began in the basement of the produce company and spread to the adjacent shoe store.

By mid-morning Jan. 2, four babies had been born at hospitals in the six southwest Minnesota and three northwest Iowa counties. The winning entrant into the new world of 1968 was a boy, born Jan. 1 at 9:46 a.m. at the Pipestone hospital to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley DeSchepper of rural Jasper. He weighed in at a healthy 11 pounds, two ounces. Second born was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pennings of rural Sheldon, Iowa. She arrived at 4:29 p.m. Jan. 1 weighing eight pounds, five ounces. Third was a boy, born at Sibley, Iowa, to Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Dries. He arrived at 1:15 a.m. Jan. 2. Fourth was a boy born to Mr. and Mrs. Lane Riordan of Windom. He arrived at 7:03 a.m. Jan. 2. Other hospitals in the region continued to await their first newborns of 1968.

The Jackson FFA livestock judging team comprised of Jim Resch, Van Johnson, John Janzen, David Resch and Tom Nielson, placed first in the team judging at the annual Worthington High School Invitational Livestock Judging Contest. In the individual judging from among 46 contestants, David Resch of Jackson placed first while Marvin Zylstra of Worthington was second. Others in the top 10 were Tom Soderholm of Worthington, Michael McCarvel of Brewster, John Janzen of Jackson, Scot Rose of Worthington and Craig Stude of Brewster.

75 years ago

A December mean temperature of 14.3 degrees — 11.7 degrees lower than the mean of December 1941, and more than five degrees under the 19.4 of the average Worthington December — was reported by J.V. Westerlund, government observer. The average high temperature in the area for December was 24.7 and the average low was 4.8.

Nobles County Attorney Raymond E. Mork and Sheriff L. P. Deuel entered upon the duties of their respective offices effective Jan. 1, having been duly elected in the November balloting.

The new year brought more snow and sub-zero cold to southwestern Minnesota and the rest of the state over the weekend. The mercury plummeted to 13 below in Worthington on Jan. 4 after an all-day storm on Jan. 3 left a four-inch blanket of snow on the ground. As of Jan. 4, the temperature hadn't risen above 32 degrees in 1943.

The Worthington Ice Company began cutting on the 1943 ice pack at its warehouses near the Omaha viaduct. Ice had reached an average thickness of 16 inches and was considered of high quality for the year. About 30 men were employed for the ice pack.