Time capsule to be opened Nov. 10 in Pipestone
PIPESTONE — The Pipestone County Historical Society announces the opening of the 1918 Time Capsule at Central School at 11 a.m. Nov. 10.
The time capsule was originally placed in the cornerstone at the construction of Central School in 1918. According to an August 1918 issue of the Pipestone County Star, which reported on the event, a box containing several interesting items was put in the cornerstone and the stone was then set in place. The cornerstone has not been at the “corner” of the building since the north wing addition in 1939, but it is still visible to the north of the main entrance.
Anyone wishing to take part in this event will meet at Central School for a short outdoor ceremony honoring the building at the removal of the time capsule from the cornerstone. After the time capsule opening, the contents can be seen on display at the Pipestone County Museum.
Opportunity for sharing Central School memories will be written at the opening ceremony or online at www.pipestoneminnesota.com.