One year ago

For the second time in two years, the city of Round Lake was applying to the state for local road improvement funding to repave Rohrer Street, which had not been reconditioned since 1984.

Cottonwood County Emergency Management Director Paul Johnson was named Emergency Management Professional of the Year by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety's Homeland Security and Emergency Management division.

The District 518 Board of Education scheduled a special work session for March 11 to discuss its next course of action in light of the recently failed referendum to build a new intermediate school.

Jackson County Central Superintendent Todd Meyer announced he was stepping down from his post of 11 years to take a similar job at Hinton Community School District in Hinton, Iowa, effective July 1.

Five years ago

Two dozen Cloverbud 4-H members, along with their parents and some 4-H youth leaders, made 20 tie blankets for cancer patients receiving treatment at Sanford Oncology Center, Worthington.

The Worthington Country Club was to become part of the Great LIFE Malaska Golf and Fitness Club community in the coming months, with a sale being finalized.

The Worthington Area YMCA hosted a Daddy-Daughter night for girls ages 4 to 12 and their dads or other father figures in their lives.

Two Worthington Middle School spellers qualified for the Multi-Region State Spelling Bee due to their top finishes at the SW/WC Service Cooperative's regional spelling bee at Redwood Falls. Seventh-grader Kalea Appel finished first and eighth-grader Davis Moore finished fourth in the 31-speller field.

10 years ago

A roof collapse at Farley's and Sathers in Round Lake over the weekend resulted in gas and water lines being severed inside one of the warehouses in the complex. No injuries were reported, and the collapse was attributed to heavy snow buildup on the roof.

The committee raising funds for the Southwest Minnesota Honor Flight reported that more than $115,000 had been raised. In total, $136,000 was needed to cover the cost of the two-day trip to Washington, D.C., for area veterans.

Dr. Maureen McGuiggan Sorensen and Dr. Grant Sorensen marked 25 years of dental practice in Worthington. Their business, Sorensen Family Dental Clinic, was located on Third Avenue in the 75-year-old building that initially served as the Worthington Post Office.

25 years ago

Plans were on track for an 18-county marketing facility to be located in Worthington and known as Prairie Expo. The proposed $4.9 million project had benefited from $1 million granted by the state legislature the previous May.

The Eagles Club of Worthington advertised its Bullhead Feed for Saturday night, featuring fish, potato salad, baked beans, bread and coffee for $4 per person.

The first formal figure skating recital in Worthington took place at the Worthington Arena. Dubbed "Celebrate the '90s on Ice," the show featured over 50 boys and girls. Renee Yaker of Windom was overseeing the six levels of figure skating being taught and exhibited at the program.

Travis Nasers replaced his father, Paul Nasers, as manager of The Sewing Center, Worthington. The business was renamed Discount Vac and Sew.

Joanne Nystrom, the daughter of Charles and Myrna Nystrom, Worthington, was named a semi-finalist for the National Merit Scholarship.

Showing this week at Worthington's Northland 3 were "Just Cause," "House Guest" and "The Quick and the Dead."

50 years ago

William B. Murphy, president of the Campbell Soup Co., was in Worthington for a community tour Monday that included a stop at both local banks. He said he was impressed with the "We Love Campbell's" theme and the many colorful display items in the bank lobbies and retail store windows. Murphy's visit occurred on the occasion of Campbell's 100th anniversary.

Worthington's Junior Chamber of Commerce gave Don Rickers its Distinguished Service Award, while Fred Ehlers was named Boss of the Year and Douglas Cole was named Outstanding Young Man. It was the first year the awards were made a part of the Chamber of Commerce's annual meeting.

The double's championship in the women's city bowling tournament was won by Dot Lindeman and Lu Osterberg. Pat Bourassa was the singles champion, and Bourassa combined with teammates Lorraine Post, Ann Gengler, Vesta Larson and Mary Burchill for the team title.

The Worthington State Junior College Theatre Group presented a production of "Hamlet."

A Washington's Birthday sale at Bishop's Clothing, Worthington, offered men's turtlenecks for $3, men's sport coats for $17.22 to $23.22, boys' sport coats for $14.88, men's Alpine hats for $3, men's leather gloves for $3 a pair, boys' dress shirts for $2, and men's ties for 50 cents apiece.

75 years ago

Advertised specials this week at the Council Oak Store included Sunkist lemons for 12 cents per pound, sirloin and round steak for 32 cents a pound, a 16-ounce jar of Bing cherry or gooseberry preserves for 29 cents, Wisconsin brick cheese for 35 cents a pound, pork liver for 20 cents a pound, four cans of Gerber strained or junior foods for 25 cents, and a two-pound bag of Golden Glow prunes for 31 cents.

Sgt. Darwin Gidel, a prisoner of war in Germany since March 24 of last year, was on his way home on the exchange ship Gripsholm. The ship was expected to dock in New Jersey on or about Feb. 20. His mother was Mrs. Della Gidel of 117 East Ninth Ave., Worthington. Most of Gidel's time as a prisoner had been in Stalag Luft IV. He was one of six Minnesota officers and enlisted men among the 463 army personnel on the Gripsholm, and the only southwestern Minnesotan.

Pfc. Wilbur Wright, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.G. Wright of Kinbrae, was killed in action in Belgium on Jan. 30, the family learned this week. He had been a paratrooper with a U.S. airborne division and had been in the armed forces since July 1943.

Wilmont-area farmer Joseph Kramer was treated at a local hospital for compounded fractures of both bones of the right arm and crushing injuries to the hand, suffered in the operation of a feed grinder. The drive belt of the machine slipped and Kramer attempted to replace it without shutting off the power source.