Regular School Board Meeting - May 18, 2010
REGULAR BOARD MEETING - May 18, 2010 A regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held at the Worthington High School Media Center, 1211 Clary Street, Worthington, Minnesota on May 18, ...
REGULAR BOARD MEETING - May 18, 2010
A regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, Worthington, Minnesota, was held at the Worthington High School Media Center, 1211 Clary Street, Worthington, Minnesota on May 18, 2010, at 5:15 p.m.
The following were present: BOARD MEMBERS - Joel Lorenz, Bob Jirele, Brad Shaffer, Linden Olson, Mark Shepherd, Lori Dudley, Steve Schnieder
ADMINISTRATORS - John Landgaard, Superintendent, Dave Skog, Director of Management Services
Correspondence and Recognition: The board recognized the following staff as tenured: Heidi Ahlers, Emily Ahlquist, Mary Brown, Chad Duffy, Holli Finke, Abbey Fischbach, Tony Hastings, Theresa Hoesing, Kerry Johnson, Chad Kremer, Melanie Kuhl, Joelle Newport, Laurie Pass, Margaret Spartz, and Sarah Winters.
1. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Jirele and unanimously passed to approve the Consent Agenda for the May 18, 2010, School Board meeting.
2. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve the Main Agenda for the May 18, 2010, School Board meeting with the addition of 5.10 SW Service Coop spam filter agreement.
3. Motion by Member Jirele, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve the minutes of the April 20, 2010, Regular School Board meeting.
4. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Shepherd and unanimously passed to approve the action of the items on the Consent Agenda as follows:
4.1 Financial Reports -
A. Approved Investments Matured and Purchased
B. Approved Wire Transfers
C. Approved Claims and Accounts for May 18, 2010, as per Board Check Register
May 18, 2010
GENERAL FUND ..............$819,412.98
FOOD SERVICE ...............$57,284.24
COMMUNITY SERVICE ..........$10,907.45
CAPITAL EXPENDITURES .......$18,431.09
INTEGRATION COLLABORATIVE ..$12,265.38
MONTH TOTAL .............$1,237,371.00
D. Approved the Community Education Imprest Cash Account in the amount of $92.00 for April 2010.
E. Reviewed the Middle School, High School, Prairie Elementary and the Area Learning Center Activity Accounts for April 2010.
Middle School Activity Account ..........$3,376.26
High School Activity Account ...........$39,433.98
Prairie Elementary Activity Account .........$0
Area Learning Center Activity Account .....$204.74
4.2.1. Approved resignation of Thongsay Chantharath as Program Aide with the Nobles County Integration Collaborative effective June 2, 2010.
4.2.2. Approved resignation of Gary Brandt as Head Varsity Hockey Coach with the High School effective April 21, 2010.
4.2.3. Approved resignation of Carolyn Prins as Early Childhood Education Teacher with Community Education effective May 28, 2010.
4.2.4. Approved resignation of Cayleen Mackey as Assistant Dance Coach at the High School effective the end of the 2009-2010 school year.
4.3.1. Approved employment of Teresa Williams as Special Education Supplementary Paraprofessional at Prairie Elementary effective April 19, 2010, through the end of the 2009-2010 school year.
4.3.2. Approved employment of Justin Spaethe as long-term substitute Paraprofessional with Special Programs effective April 12, 2010.
4.3.3. Approved employment of Tessa Dierks as Art Teacher with the High School effective August 9, 2010.
4.4 The board approved the following donations for the month of April 2010: Boxes from Farleys and Sathers Candy Company, Inc.; Prairie Parent Group; Trojan Sports Booster Club; GM box tops for education; and Worthington Hockey Association.
4.5 Approved to designate Paul Besel as LEA representative.
4.6 Approved Steve Dudley, Bryon Spittle, Kaia Nowatzki and Al Ebbers as volunteer coaches.
4.7 Approved an employee's request for sick leave (due to pregnancy) from August 23, 2010, through October 4, 2010, and child care leave (without pay) from October 4, 2010, through November 12, 2010.
4.8 Approved employees for extended school year 2010 (summer school).
4.9 Approved an out of town travel request for Jodi Hansen and Lisa Harms to attend an AP Chemistry Vernier Conference in Chicago, from July 21-22, 2010
5. Board Member Olson introduced the following Resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION ESTABLISHING DATES
FOR FILING AFFIDAVITS OF CANDIDACY
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 518, as follows:
1. The period for filing affidavits of candidacy for the office of school board member of Independent School District No. 518 shall begin on August 3, 2010, and shall close on August 17, 2010. An affidavit of candidacy must be filed in the office of the school district clerk and the $2.00 filing fee paid prior to 5:00 o'clock p.m. on August 17, 2010.
2. The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice of said filing dates to be published in the Worthington Daily Globe, the official newspaper of the district, at least two (2) weeks prior to the first day to file affidavits of candidacy.
3. The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice of said filing dates to be posted at the administrative offices of the school district at least ten (10) days prior to the first day to file affidavits of candidacy.
4. The notice of said filing dates shall be in substantially the following form:
NOTICE OF FILING DATES FOR ELECTION TO THE SCHOOL BOARD
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 518
STATE OF MINNESOTA
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the period for filing affidavits of candidacy for the office of school board member of Independent School District No. 518 shall begin on August 3 2010, and shall close at 5:00 o'clock p.m. on August 17, 2010.
The general election shall be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2010. At the election, three (3) members will be elected to the School Board for terms of four (4) years each.
Affidavits of Candidacy are available from the school district clerk, Independent School District 518, 1117 Marine Avenue, Worthington, Minnesota. The filing fee for this office is $2.00. A candidate for this office must be an eligible voter, must be 21 years of age or more on assuming office, must have been a resident of the school district from which the candidate seeks election for thirty (30) days before the general election, and must have no other affidavit on file for any other office at the same general election.
The affidavits of candidacy must be filed in the office of the school district clerk and the filing fee paid prior to 5:00 o'clock p.m. on August 17, 2010.
BY ORDER OF THE SCHOOL BOARD
School District Clerk
The motion for the adoption for the foregoing Resolution was duly seconded by Board Member Dudley and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Joel Lorenz, Bob Jirele, Brad Shaffer, Lori Dudley, Linden Olson, Mark Shepherd, Steve Schnieder
and the following voted against the same: None.
whereupon, said Resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
6. Motion by Member Dudley, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve the Comprehensive Arts Planning Program 5 Year Plan.
7. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to move forward with approval of a 15-year tax abatement with the City of Worthington and Nobles County to help with the costs of redevelopment of property in downtown Worthington for Astrup Drug with a cost estimate of $80,000.
8. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Shepherd and unanimously passed to approve an Occupational Therapy Agreement with Sanford Regional Hospital Worthington.
9. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to approve the computer bid from Davis Typewriter for $230,868 for computers and related peripherals.
10. Motion by Member Shaffer, seconded by Member Olson and unanimously passed to approve the Health Insurance pool Joint Powers Agreement.
11. Motion by Member Schnieder, seconded by Member Jirele to approve the school resource officer agreement with the City of Worthington at a cost of $48,000 which is 60% of the total for salary and benefits. Motion passed 6 to 0 with Member Shepherd abstaining.
12. Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Shaffer and unanimously passed to approve additional HVAC controls at the High School.
13. Motion by Member Shepherd, seconded by Member Dudley and unanimously passed to approve the Southwest Service Cooperative spam filtering agreement.
The Board further discussed and reviewed the following matters: Investments and financial status; reports on: Superintendent's Report - Mr. Landgaard reported the following: Application for a grant from the Healthcare Foundation for Nursing Services; Annual Service Coop meeting June 16, 2010; WALA public meeting update; City and College sports collaborative meeting; Middle School and High School project update; trust fund account update; and Administrator/Director/Coordinator survey summary results. Instructional Committee Report - Mrs. Dudley reported the following: Math curriculum update presentation. Operations Committee Report - Mr. Olson reported the following: Presentation by the Family, Consumer Science, Agriculture and Industrial Arts departments; farm to school food program; and no budget reductions done at this time. Nobles County Integration Collaborative Report - Mr. Schnieder reported the following: Copier replacement; Peer review budget review; NCIC board meeting schedule; Legislative Task Force review of NCIC programs in the state. Technology Committee Report - Mr. Olson reported the following: Staff is working on technology with construction projects going on. Staff Development Report - Mr. Olson reported the following: FLY staff development time. Other Business - Mr. Olson presented the following: Strategic Plan Sub Committee working on Strategic Plan. Future Business - None.
Mr. Landgaard gave a negotiations update.
Motion by Member Olson, seconded by Member Schnieder and unanimously passed to approve a tax abatement hearing for June 2, 2010, at 7:30 a.m. at the District Office.
Meeting adjourned at 6:10 p.m.
Lori Dudley, Clerk
Lisa Ahrenstorff, Deputy Clerk