ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Bluejay Villas evacuated following grease fire

080318.N.DG_. The BJ Villas web.jpg
Bluejay Villas.

WORTHINGTON — All students were OK Monday night following a small grease fire that took place in a residential unit at the Bluejay Villas on the Minnesota West Community & Technical College Worthington campus.

The college received reports of a small grease fire in one Bluejay Villas residential unit at approximately 6:45 p.m. Monday, according to a press release issued at 8:33 p.m. Monday by Minnesota West. The students promptly evacuated and the Worthington Fire Department responded immediately and extinguished the fire, the release added.

College personnel and the Bluejay Villas staff were working with the students, escorting them to their rooms for necessary items and bringing them to the Health & Wellness building so they could have access to facilities and dinner, the press release indicated.

ADVERTISEMENT

The college subsequently issued another press release on the fire at 10:38 p.m. Monday.

“In close collaboration with the Bluejay Villas management, accommodations for our students have been made for the evening,” it said. “The college staff are assisting students with their transition for the evening and will provide transportation options in the morning. We will continue to work with our residential partner is assuring our students have safe and reasonable accommodations during this event.”

Students were to be receiving updates from the Bluejay Villas management team via their email protocol. They may also call the Bluejay Villas at 360-0902.

“We are thankful our students are safe and secure and we appreciate the support of our college staff and the Villas management team,” the late evening press release said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“My sincerest appreciation to our students who safely evacuated as trained and to our college personnel for responding and assisting them,” Minnesota West President Terry Gaalswyk added.

Related Topics: FIRES
What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.
“We see that when things happen in the coastal areas, a few years later, they start trending toward the Midwest,” said Rep. Ben Krohmer, serving his first term in the House.
“This is sensationalism at its finest, and it does not deserve to be heard in our state capitol,” Rep. Erin Healy, a Democrat and one of 10 votes against the bill in the 70-person chamber, said.
“Let’s put this in the rearview mirror,” Sen. Michael Diedrich, a Rapid City Republican said.