ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Capital Chatter: Little money available in Minnesota for pre-kindergarten classrooms

ST. PAUL -- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton wants to increase education spending $77 million in the next year, mostly for his plan to offer classes for 4-year-olds.But there is a catch. Many school officials say they are running out of room, especiall...

2402272+DaytonWeb.jpg
Mark Dayton speaks during his State of the State speech March 9. (Don Davis/Forum News Service)

ST. PAUL - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton wants to increase education spending $77 million in the next year, mostly for his plan to offer classes for 4-year-olds.
But there is a catch. Many school officials say they are running out of room, especially after lawmakers last year passed a Dayton proposal to expand kindergarten to full days.
If Dayton’s new pre-kindergarten program is approved, schools would need to fund any expansion they need themselves.
“We could not squeeze it into this,” Dayton said.
While Commissioner Myron Frans of Minnesota Management and Budget said that Dayton’s public works funding proposal contains $20 million for school expansion, that is not enough money to allow all schools that want classrooms built for 4-year-olds. Also, Republicans strongly oppose his $1.4 billion total public works plan, so the $20 million might not survive.
Dayton said that while he would like to help schools fund expansion, “we are signaling school districts ... this is something that is going to happen in Minnesota.” In other words, they need to find the money.
One of the areas Dayton wants to target with early-childhood funding is where poverty dominates. But that also is where schools have the fewest resources to expand buildings to accommodate more classes.
“It’s a very valid point,” Dayton said when Forum News Service asked him how schools in poverty-stricken areas can afford new classrooms. “We will work with school districts.”

Broadband: How much money?

The question of how much money is needed to fund high-speed Internet expansion is not getting a high-speed answer.
Dayton called for $100 million as a step toward reaching his goal of every Minnesotan having a broadband connection. A strong House broadband supporter, Republican Rep. Dave Baker of Willmar, brought up a bill providing $35 million.
Either is more than the $10 million approved a year ago, but arguments abound about the proper level.
“We need to put our money where our rhetoric is about broadband,” Dayton said.
The $100 million he wants would not have to be spent in the next year, the governor said, but if money remains it could be used to expand broadband later.
A House committee has approved Baker’s $35 million request, but several steps remain before the money could become available.
Witnesses told the committee that without real-time access to information, rural Minnesotans are at a disadvantage. Many people in rural areas say they need to drive to a library, McDonald’s or other location to get high-speed Internet service.
“High-speed Internet has become more than a luxury; it’s a utility that we need and require,” said Travis Bonnema, manager of technical services for Jennie-O Turkey.

Emergency center funds sought

The Minnesota Emergency Operations Center is in a secure and secret location in downtown St. Paul.
Or so officials thought.
In asking for $33 million to establish a new center, state officials revealed that two years ago a person was found sleeping in one of the center’s conference rooms.
Dayton folded the $33 million request into his $1.4 billion hope for public works projects ranging from fixing state building roofs to buying park land. It is not the first time a public works spending bill sought a new EOC, where state officials huddle during emergencies ranging from flooding to nuclear power plant malfunctions.
Joe Kelly, Homeland Security Division director, said the downtown center is “wholly failing to meet the industry standards.”
A new center would be constructed in suburban Arden Hills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Senator grounded

A Senate committee heard about dangers of thieves being electrocuted when they try to break into electrical substations.
The issue is that people steal copper, which is used to ground fences and other items in a substation.
Showing he knows something about electricity, Sen. Ron Latz, D-St. Louis Park, explained: “The person could become the ground, and later end up under the ground.”

Davis covers Minnesota government and politics for Forum News Service. Read his blog at http://capitolchat.areavoices.com/ and follow him on Twitter at @CapitolChatter.

Related Topics: EDUCATION
What To Read Next
Navigator CO2 Ventures is hoping to streamline the application process in Illinois as they add an additional pipeline to the mix.
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the Wednesday, Jan. 25, crash.
Testimony to the top House committee from a convicted attendee of the Jan. 6 rally focused on the "inhumane" treatment of Jan. 6 defendants. The committee rejected a resolution on the matter 12-0.
Rep. Fred Deutsch, an opponent of last year's failed cannabis ballot measure, introduced a proposal to disallow consecutive attempts at statewide referenda. A House committee rejected the bill 10-2.