ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Cottonwood County included in disaster declaration

ST. PAUL — Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz has authorized the use of funds from the state Disaster Assistance Contingency Account to assist several Minnesota counties in their efforts to recover from severe storm damage incurred between July 16-20.

Counties included in the authorization include Cottonwood, Blue Earth, Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Le Sueur, Wabasha and Winona. Portions of those counties were damaged from severe thunderstorms with damaging winds, heavy rainfalls and flooding.

“This has been a tough year for many Minnesotans who are working to rebuild and recover after significant storm damage,” Walz said. “Our neighbors in southern Minnesota were hit particularly hard by a series of severe storms that crushed public infrastructure and slowed local economies. That’s why we’re authorizing funds from our state’s disaster assistance account to offset the burden for Minnesotans while they work to make their communities whole again.”

The state will cover 75% of the eligible costs from the Disaster Assistance Contingency Account, with local governments covering the remaining 25%.

Related Topics: TIM WALZ
What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.
“We see that when things happen in the coastal areas, a few years later, they start trending toward the Midwest,” said Rep. Ben Krohmer, serving his first term in the House.
“This is sensationalism at its finest, and it does not deserve to be heard in our state capitol,” Rep. Erin Healy, a Democrat and one of 10 votes against the bill in the 70-person chamber, said.
“Let’s put this in the rearview mirror,” Sen. Michael Diedrich, a Rapid City Republican said.