WORTHINGTON — Two suspects have been charged in relation to a Sept. 27 assault that took place at the Ground Round.
Police responded to the scene and took statements from several victims. One victim reported that they had been eating with a group when a few people in hoods and masks approached and began punching them. This victim identified one of the attackers as Oscar Leon, 29, of Worthington.
Another victim explained that the attackers had been holding a grudge from a fight the previous night. They said after the assailants began punching the victims, the fight moved outside. That's where one of the alleged attackers, Jonathan Keovilay, 19, of Worthington, pulled out a gun.
A third victim identified two other suspects, but those individuals have not yet been charged.
When officers interviewed Leon, Leon stated that he was alone at the Ground Round and that the fight had begun before he arrived. He added that the victims attacked him first, and he was only acting in self-defense.
However, Ground Round security footage shows the victims sitting in a booth eating when Keovilay and another individual came up to them and started punching them. Leon and another person then joined the fight while a fifth individual recorded the encounter on his phone.
The footage also shows Leon get into his truck and nearly run down two of the victims while leaving the parking lot.
After viewing the security footage, officers re-questioned Leon, who reportedly stood by his previous statement.
Police were able to track down the person who had recorded the fight, but were told that he had already deleted the video.
Law enforcement searched for Keovilay but were unable to located him until he reported Oct. 7 to his probation agent's office, where he was arrested. He was charged with possession of a firearm after being convicted of a crime of violence and second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, both felonies; gross misdemeanor third-degree rioting; two counts of misdemeanor fifth-degree assault and misdemeanor reckless driving.
Keovilay's most serious charge carries a maximum possible sentence of 15 years in prison and/or a $30,000 fine, but no less than five years in prison. If convicted, his actual sentence will be based on criminal history. Keovilay has previously been convicted of violent crime in two separate cases.
His initial court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday.
Leon was not arrested. He was, however, summoned to appear in court on the charges of felony second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, gross misdemeanor third-degree rioting and misdemeanor reckless driving. His most serious charge, assault, carries a maximum possible sentence of seven years in prison and/or a $14,000 fine. If convicted, actual sentencing will be based on criminal history.
Because Leon was not arrested, there is no mug shot of him.