Fairmont man faces drug charges in Nobles County

Roger Clay was a passenger in a vehicle passing through the county on Interstate 90, and officers reportedly found drugs during a search of the vehicle.

091121 N DG CRIMECLAY.jpg

WORTHINGTON — Roger Arvin Clay, 68, of Fairmont, faces three felony charges in Nobles County Fifth Judicial District Court involving importing controlled substances across state borders, first degree sale of 17 or more grams of methamphetamine within a 90-day period, and first degree possession of 50 or more grams of methamphetamine.

The charges stem from an incident in which Clay was a passenger in a vehicle that was allegedly speeding on Interstate 90 in Nobles County at approximately 5:48 p.m. Aug. 22.

During a law enforcement search of the vehicle, 59.7 grams of meth, five grams of marijuana and a marijuana pipe were reportedly discovered in a shopping bag. A safe located in the trunk was also found to contain four glass meth pipes, a digital scale, baggies and a wallet with $961 in cash and a photo ID of Clay, according to the criminal complaint. A glass meth pipe and glass marijuana pipe were found in another passenger’s purse on the front seat, and a glass meth pipe with residue was located in the driver’s door pocket, while a pellet gun was allegedly found under the driver’s seat.

Clay allegedly admitted the shopping bag with contents was his, and he was the only person who admitted to knowing the code to unlock the safe. The second passenger also reportedly said the meth pipe in her purse did not belong to her, but rather to Clay.

Clay made his initial court appearance earlier this week. On the first count, he faces a maximum 35 years imprisonment and/or a $1.25 million fine; and on the second and third counts, he faces a maximum 30 years imprisonment and/or a $1 million fine. His next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 26.

What To Read Next
Awards were announced during Friday’s annual FORWARD Worthington Extravaganza at Lerma’s Event Center.
If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of no more than five years in prison, a $10,000 fine, or both for each of the charges against him.
If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment, a $10,000 fine, or both.
For incidents reported Jan. 22 through the early morning of Jan. 27.