Federated seeks entries for Youth Tour Contest
JACKSON -- A local teenager will experience firsthand the pride of being an American by winning a free trip to Washington June 11-16. Federated Rural Electric, Jackson, will select the winner of this trip through its annual Youth Tour Contest.
JACKSON - A local teenager will experience firsthand the pride of being an American by winning a free trip to Washington June 11-16. Federated Rural Electric, Jackson, will select the winner of this trip through its annual Youth Tour Contest.
High school freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors attending a high school in Federated’s service area can enter. Applications can be picked up from a school counselor or by contacting Federated at
or 1-800-321-3520.The application and information are also found on Federated’s website, federatedrea.coop.
The student writes a 300-word essay on an energy-related topic, which is due with the application by Feb. 29. The first 15 students to enter receive $20 gift certificates to Amazon.com.
Five finalists are selected for short interviews March 29, starting at 4 p.m. The combined scores from the essay, interview and application determine the trip winner, along with second- and third-place winners, who will receive $150 and $100, respectively.
The winner will travel with 40 other Minnesota teens sponsored by other rural electric co-ops.
Possible tour highlights include:
- Tour the monuments: Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Korean Veterans Memorial, Iwo Jima Statue, World War II Memorial, Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial and Arlington Cemetery.
- Tour historic sights: Smithsonian Museums, Holocaust Memorial Museum, Newseum, 9/11 Memorial and Mount Vernon.
- Attend special events: theater performance and all-states dinner & dance.
- Interact with: 1,500 teenagers from across the U.S. sponsored by rural electric co-ops; meet with members of Congress and make new friends.
- Go places: Interview to be the Minnesota representative on the Youth Leadership Council. The winner will travel to D.C. again for the 2017 Youth Tour.