Five-day manhunt for accused murderer across five states ends on Nebraska-Wyoming border

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- A five-day manhunt that crossed into five states came to an end late Wednesday night after a man suspected in a brutal murder last week in Sioux Falls was arrested after a pursuit near the Nebraska-Wyoming border.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A five-day manhunt that crossed into five states came to an end late Wednesday night after a man suspected in a brutal murder last week in Sioux Falls was arrested after a pursuit near the Nebraska-Wyoming border.

Jared Stone, 21, was apprehended after he surrendered to law enforcement officers just across the border in Wyoming on Interstate 80.
He was taken to the Laramie, Wyo., detention facility where he awaits extradition on a South Dakota charge of first-degree murder.
U.S. Marshals chief deputy Scott Rolstad of Sioux Falls said Stone shot at Nebraska state troopers during the chase in northeastern Nebraska and was finally stopped just over the border into Wyoming on the interstate, which authorities had closed to travel. He surrendered without firing any more shots, Rolstad said.
The marshals and other officers had been in an intense pursuit of Stone since he allegedly shot Baptiste White Eyes, 28, of Sioux Falls in the head outside a casino on a busy street in central Sioux Falls at about 8 p.m. Friday night.
Authorities thought they had Stone cornered last Saturday not far away from the scene in Sioux Falls, but he escaped.
He then went on the run in and out of five states.
Rolstad said Stone was in several vehicles while running from the law, including at least one that was stolen, as he traveled to Luverne, Worthington and Minneapolis in Minnesota and then to Le Mars in northwest Iowa.
It started early Saturday where court papers say Stone’s getaway driver and two other women fled to Worthington, where they checked into the Super 8 motel. The group stayed in a Luverne motel Saturday night. They then took off to nearby Flandreau just across the border in South Dakota where Stone was said to have bought a car. It was then off to Minneapolis.
Early Tuesday morning, he turned up in Le Mars and later that day, his vehicle turned up along Interstate 90 near Presho.

One of the women - who had been with him since the shooting - Lachara Bordeaux - was arrested in Le Mars on Tuesday and charged with accessory to a felony. She is in the Sioux Falls jail.
Stone, however, again eluded authorities in Iowa and was next known to be in Mission on the Rosebud Sioux Indian Reservation in far south-central South Dakota, said Rolstad.
In Mission, on Wednesday night about 8 p.m., Rolstad said a U.S. Marshals national task force called in for the hunt raided an apartment building where the fugitive was thought to be hiding.
No luck again.
Stone had already left, traveling in a 1998 Buick that Rolstad said came from Rapid City, S.D.
Either before the final pursuit started or during it, Stone dropped off the couple from Rapid City who had picked him up along with an infant that was also in the car, Rolstad said.
Officers then chased Stone at high speeds for about 70 miles, with the fugitive allegedly shooting at the Nebraska troopers three times during the pursuit.
It finally ended late Wednesday night - miles and miles from Sioux Falls where it had started five days earlier.
Wyoming authorities said officers deployed tire-deflation sticks on the interstate on the state line. Stone remained in his vehicle after it stopped for about a half hour before surrendering.
Rolstad said Stone will likely face charges in four or five states for what happened during the manhunt.
People who assisted him by providing transportation or lodging are also possibly facing charges, said Sioux Falls police Sgt. Shaun Olson and Rolstad.
Bordeaux had her first court appearance Thursday afternoon, Olson said. She is facing charges for being an accessory to the shooting and harboring a fugitive.
Also arrested so far is Mercedes Red Bear, also known as Mercedes Payer, of Sioux Falls, on a charge of harboring and assisting a fugitive, Olson said. She also appeared in court Thursday.
Red Bear was also in court Thursday. She's accused of paying for the Luverne motel where Stone stayed, under her name.
Police are still looking for another suspected accomplice, 31-year-old Desiree Sully, who may have been the getaway driver.
Rolstad said many others also could face charges across the states where Stone was on the lam.

What To Read Next
“Let’s put this in the rearview mirror,” Sen. Michael Diedrich, a Rapid City Republican said.
A resolution looking to allow the legislature to consider work requirements on the newly expanded Medicaid program is one step closer to the 2024 ballot.
Navigator CO2 Ventures is hoping to streamline the application process in Illinois as they add an additional pipeline to the mix.
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the Wednesday, Jan. 25, crash.