Luverne man charged with domestic assault
May is scheduled to make his initial court appearance on Jan. 23.
LUVERNE — A Luverne man has been charged with felony domestic assault for reportedly assaulting a family member within 10 years of two or more domestic violence-related convictions.
On Jan. 13, a Rock County Sheriff’s deputy was approached on patrol by the victim, who had just been released from the local emergency room for injuries sustained from Martin Howard May, 50. Upon returning home, the victim was again reportedly assaulted by May.
Law enforcement was dispatched to a Luverne residence, but May wasn’t located at the house. The victim said May was at the National Guard Armory in Luverne, and law enforcement again attempted to locate May. Several officers returned to the house and determined that May had come back.
The victim was contacted and again gave permission for officers to enter the house, while another officer attempted to speak with May through the closed door. It was advised that May exit the residence or open the door. May reportedly stated he would do neither until he spoke with the victim.
After several attempts to gain entry, May opened the door and exited the house. He was arrested without further incident.
While providing a statement to officers, the victim said May had assaulted them by spitting on, hitting, biting and repeatedly slapping the victim. At one point the victim was forcibly thrown to the ground, according to the complaint, prompting the victim to go to the emergency room. The victim was in a sling and appeared to be in pain when speaking with officers.
When the victim returned home, May reportedly began the physical and verbal assaults again. The victim stated May had threatened them with a butcher’s knife and hammer and threatened to burn the house down.
Several recent calls regarding domestic assault between the victim and May were noted in the complaint. The victim stated there were altercations that were not reported because May would take the victim's phone.
Bruises in multiple stages of healing were reportedly observed on the victim, indicating they had been assaulted multiple times in recent weeks.
The victim’s phone was subsequently located in a bag belonging to May.
May faces an additional gross misdemeanor charge for impeding emergency telephone calls, which carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail and/or a $3,000 fine. His criminal history shows multiple past convictions related to domestic assault. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison, a $10,000 fine, or both.
Conditional bail for May was set at $10,000. He is scheduled to make his initial court appearance on Jan. 23.
Note: This article was written based on information reported by local law enforcement agencies. The Globe reminds readers that all individuals are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
The Southwest Crisis Center is available in our community to support and empower survivors of sexual and domestic violence. For questions about services or how you can help, contact the Southwest Crisis Center at 1-800-376-4311 or mnswcc.org .