WCFC competitive but unable to score against top of the table Superior City FC

Worthington Community FC will play home games on Thursday and a doubleheader with WCFC II Saturday this week.

Soccer ball stock art. (Wesley Tingey / Unsplash)

SUPERIOR, Wis. — Worthington Community Football Club dropped its second straight United Premier Soccer League game to undefeated Superior City FC 1-0 on Saturday.

Superior City is 4-0-0 and are top of the Midwest West Premier Division table. WCFC's record is 0-2-1 and it is currently ninth in the 11-team standings.

Last week the Toros played St. Croix Soccer Club and lost 5-0. St. Croix currently stands in second place in the Midwest West table with a 2-0-1 record.

Superior City FC is a well-organized and defensive club. The team which wore navy jerseys have only conceded one goal in the season. Superior City FC is captained by center back Nickolas Braun.

The Toros had chances, but the game was controlled by excellent keeper play from Superior City FC’s Walker Marquardt. WCFC’s Kody Honius also played a strong game.


The lone goal was scored near the 12 minute mark in the first half. Jamaican striker Malcolm Lumsden sent a strong through ball to left winger Jordan Finneran.

Honius was able to disrupt the cross but was unable to hold onto the ball which ended up on the right foot of Ryan Tomsche near the top of the penalty box. Tomsche delivered a strong strike and gave Superior City the lead, and then three points in the standings.

WCFC however came out firing after the goal. A strong combination of runs by WCFC forwards and midfielders, coupled with a hard tackle just outside of the penalty box earned WCFC a dangerous free kick, nearly 30 seconds after allowing a goal. Prince Lebbi, Jr. and Javier Garcia Basitan both lined up to take the shot. Lebbi ran first but was a decoy and Garcia’s kick cleared the wall and the keeper but tambourined off the crossbar.

From there, offensive chances for both teams quickly turned from open play on the pitch, to set pieces designed from free and corner kicks.

Honius blocked a hard-hit laser from a 20-meter-out Lumsden free kick.

WCFC won a corner kick that also produced a quality scoring chance. But, a leaping Marquardt was able to punch the ball over and out while crashing into the left post.

After an inspection from the athletic trainer on site, Marquardt and the Superior City team were able to clear the ball out and neither team had another good scoring opportunity before the referee whistled for the half to end.

The Toros made several substitutions in the second half, and were for the most part in total possession of the ball. But still an equalizing goal remained hard to come by.


One substitution the Toros made was for forward Salvador Nava. Nava was called offsides in the box on a WCFC goal.

Domingo "Sunday" Bernabe had a scoring opportunity from the top right corner of the penalty box after a corner kick. Sunday’s shot was saved by a Marquardt two-handed catch and squeeze.

The Toros final scoring chance came in added time. At the top of the box Nava connected with the ball on a bicycle kick. Marquardt, who left his goal in an attempt to catch and clear the ball, was caught far out of position.

But, Superior defender Cameron Ross was able to clear the ball on the ground after keeping himself deep in the box.

Shortly after, the whistle sounded.

WCFC’s second team Los Dos played its first game in Division 1 of the UPSL on Sunday. Los Dos played Leon FC and lost 10-1.

The Toros will look to rebound this week as they play in their first-ever UPSL home game. The Toros host I-90 counterpart Austin Villa FC on Thursday at Trojan Field. The game starts at 6 p.m.

On Saturday the Bulls and Los Dos will host a doubleheader at Trojan Field. Los Dos play Rochester FC at 4 p.m. and the WCFC first team plays the St. Paul Blackhawks at 7 p.m.


Superior City FC 1 0 – 1

WCFC 0 0 – 0

Dominic Burns is a reporter at the Globe who covers general news and sports.
What To Read Next
Get Local