Year in Review: The Globe's Top 40 Local Stories of 2021
The following stories were the most read of 2021, according to data tracking at dglobe.com
REGIONAL — For well over a century, newsrooms have operated by the adage that “If it bleeds, it leads,” meaning any story involving murder or mayhem gets prime placement on the newspaper page.
Other than feedback from readers and coffee shop talk, there was never really any proof those stories were the most read in the paper. But times have changed.
Today, The Globe has software that monitors each and every story posted on our website. We can see how many devices are logged into a story at any given moment; we can see what is trending and, equally as important, what isn’t trending.
We know our readers want local content, we know you love to read about business happenings and sports and the latest crimes in our area. And we know you enjoy reading feature stories on local individuals, families and activities.
Occasionally, a city council, county board or school board story may catch your eye, but it’s somewhat surprising how little readership there is on issues like tax levies and budgets. We won’t stop covering those issues, because not only are they important to many of our readers, they are a public service.
That said, Community Editor — and data tracker extraordinaire — Kari Lucin compiled a list of our Top 40 most read stories at dglobe.com from Jan. 1 through Dec. 20. They are listed below by the headline under which they were posted.
1. Farmer finds injured hunter in field while combining corn south of Worthington
2. Stolen vehicle recovered in Worthington, owner found dead
3. Doug Wolter: If you want to be good at golf, you've got to pay the price
4. Multiple cars derail on Union Pacific line near Brewster
5. Lakefield's Hi-Lo gets new owners — and a 1950s-era update
6. KwikTrip buys Worthington ShopKo property
7. Two arrested in Lake Park, Iowa murder
8. Iowa man arrested over Snapchat correspondence
9. Sioux Falls woman charged after alleged police chase
10. Nationwide warrant issued for Worthington man
11. Lakefield woman faces charges for possession of ammunition, drugs
12. Rushmore man charged with attempted murder
13. Murder charge filed against Windom man
14. Nobles County Sheriff's Office on the look-out for male near Brewster
15. Jackson County woman gets $140,000 settlement after Rock County search
16. Quartet arrested on drug charges
17. WPD seizes 22 pounds of meth during suspected drug trafficking case
18. Rural Worthington home destroyed in early Saturday morning fire
19. Pair arrested traveling through Worthington with 2 pounds of meth
20. Hunter accidentally shoots self in shoulder south of Worthington Tuesday evening
21. Mountain Lake resident charged with child sexual abuse
22. South Dakota man killed in collision near Pipestone
23. Woman jailed after report of using child in pornographic content
24. Nobles County settles lawsuit for $30,000
25. Windom women face drug charges
26. Man dies in rural Pipestone County shooting incident
27. Worthington woman charged with drug sale
28. South Dakota man charged with four felonies following high-speed chase through Nobles County
29. Worthington family waits as baby Maci fights to thrive
30. Worthington woman is a COVID-19 long-hauler
31. Langseth family duels over dust control on road leading to lodge
32. Woman accused of theft from Runnings to appear in court
33. One of three suspects arrested in robberies of Bomgaars, Runnings
34. New business opens in Windom square
35. Motorist ends up in Lake Okabena
36. Man arrested for possession of 118 grams of meth
37. Anonymous tips lead to arrest of couple
38. Adrian trio arrested following search warrant
39. Double fatal reported in Thursday morning crash near Jasper
40. Sanford Worthington patient charged with assault of hospital employees