Column: VIBE provides online learning
BY NATE HANSON, District 518 WORTHINGTON -- The main focus of Virtual Instruction By Excellence (VIBE) is to provide you with a highly effective online learning experience through consistent interaction and a rigorous curriculum. Our online progr...
BY NATE HANSON, District 518
WORTHINGTON - The main focus of Virtual Instruction By Excellence (VIBE) is to provide you with a highly effective online learning experience through consistent interaction and a rigorous curriculum. Our online program makes it easy to become an active participant in your child’s public school education. It is designed to create working partnerships among motivated parents and experienced, Minnesota licensed teachers using K12’s outstanding curriculum to provide a learning environment truly focused on the individual needs of your child.
VIBE has selected K12’s world class curriculum because it has developed by some of the best minds in education. VIBE makes sure the curriculum is effective, engaging and meets or exceeds Minnesota standards. Virtual Instruction By Excellence students demonstrate their knowledge and skills through participation in state standardized tests.
When your child enrolls, you receive a complete curriculum, lesson planning tools, books and instructional materials, and the use of the necessary technology. Teachers monitor your child’s progress, attendance, and work samples, and provide instruction, suggestions and support.
VIBE is designed to accommodate a variety of learning styles and allows students to work at their own pace. Recognizing that online learning is not necessarily the right choice for every learner, our staff will work with you to determine how it might work for your family.
Throughout the year we have outings that help establish a community of learners. The outings are focused on supporting the academic curriculum, providing opportunities for socializing with teachers and peers, and promoting a team approach.
The Virtual Instruction By Excellence gives the students in your family the opportunity to help promote “Excellence in Action.”
The following are Virtual Instruction By Excellence/Area Learning Center Governing Board members, titles and terms of appointment:
* Mark Shepherd, Worthington School Board Member (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Ben Green, Worthington ALC Teacher (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Stacy Grothe, Worthington ALC Special Education Teacher (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Cody Dvorak, Worthington HS (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Scott Burns, Worthington MS Teacher (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Andrew Kowalski, Prairie Elementary School Teacher (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Erin Top, Nobles/Rock Probation Officer (Aug. 1, 2013 - Aug. 1, 2016)
* Amy Ernst, Worthington District Technology Director (no term)
* Nate Hanson, Worthington Alternative Education Principal (no term)
* Paul Karelis, Worthington HS Principal (no term)
* Andrea Derynck, Extended/Online Learning Manager (no term)
Nate Hanson is alternative learning principal (K-12) in District 518.