Twins' Sano isn't close to returning from shin injury, Molitor says
MINNEAPOLIS — Although Miguel Sano is eligible to be activated from the disabled list Wednesday, Aug. 30, the Twins third baseman isn't close to returning from a shin injury, still unable to perform baseball activities, manager Paul Molitor said Tuesday, Aug. 29.
The slugger hit the disabled list Aug. 20 with a stress reaction on his left leg.
While the Twins were on an eight-game road trip last week, Sano remained in Minnesota doing cardiovascular exercises in a pool and on a bike, but he isn't close yet to returning to the lineup.
"It's unfortunate that it's moving rather slowly," Molitor said. "You can't rush or force those things without risking something significant happening if you get back too soon. I think he is improving. I just think it's a slow process right now."
Sano, 24, leads the Twins with 28 home runs and is hitting .267 in 416 at-bats.
Sano said this month that he was injured when a foul ball deflected off his shin in an at bat on Aug. 18. The Twins are using a stimulator to try to help the healing.
"All I've heard is that they're considering some other things that might help expedite the healing of the bone," Molitor said.
Former first-round pick Tyler Jay and three other Twins prospects were picked to play in the prestigious Arizona Fall League, a gathering of at least six of the best young players from each MLB organization.
Tom Hackimer, LaMonte Wade and Chris Paul will join Jay in the league, as will three other Twins prospects to be named later.
Jay, the No. 6 overall pick in 2015, recently returned from injury and has a 3.52 earned-run average in 7 2/3 innings this season between three minor league levels.
Hackimer was a fourth-round pick in 2016. The righty has a 1.85 ERA in 58 1/3 minor league innings this season.
Wade was a ninth-round pick in 2015. The center fielder is hitting .282 with six home runs in 110 games at Double-A Chattanooga.
Paul was a sixth-round pick in 2015. The third baseman is hitting .332 at Class A Fort Myers.
The Twins will hold a retirement ceremony Friday for former closer Joe Nathan, who spent seven of his 16 MLB seasons with the team.
Nathan pitched 6 1/3 innings for two teams last season before deciding to retire this year.
His most productive years were with the Twins from 2004-11. The righty was named an all-star four times in that period, recording a career-high 47 saves in 2009. In total, he posted a 2.16 ERA in 460 games with the Twins.
Nathan will throw out a ceremonial first pitch before Friday's game.
Catcher Jason Castro continues to deal with sporadic headaches stemming from his concussion and hasn't yet resumed baseball activities. He remains on the disabled list.